Visit Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca is a laid-back village on the Caribbean coast, located between the forested hills of the Talamanca mountains and the sea.
By day, it is a quiet sleepy place, where visitors and locals alike meander the streets on bikes and visit the beach, however there is a vibrant and fun social scene in the evening with many restaurants and bars to choose from. It is a popular area for surfers, but also for those looking to get closer to the indigenous people of Costa Rica and wildlife abounds in the area.
The locals are mainly of Afro-Caribbean descent, and consequently the familiar sounds of Bob Marley contribute to the relaxed atmosphere.
The area does have some pleasant beaches, but they are not the typical white sand and bright blue sea of the Caribbean, and you do need to be careful of rip tides if you are planning on swimming.
Suggested Puerto Viejo de Talamanca itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
- Manzanillo 7 miles away
- Turrialba 66 miles away
- San Gerardo de Dota 72 miles away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 73 miles away
- Dominical 81 miles away
- San José & Central Valley 93 miles away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 95 miles away
- Manuel Antonio 97 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 102 miles away
- Central Pacific Coast 108 miles away
- El Silencio Lodge 113 miles away
- Esterillos 120 miles away
- San Ramon 121 miles away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 143 miles away
- Arenal Volcano 144 miles away
- Northern Pacific Coast 156 miles away
- Cano Negro 164 miles away
- Tenorio Volcano 169 miles away
- Punta Islita 181 miles away
- Rincon de la Vieja 193 miles away
- Playa Potrero 213 miles away
- Tamarindo 215 miles away
- Golfo de Papagayo 221 miles away
Photos of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Accommodation choices for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
A newly opened hotel in Puerto Viejo, Le Caméléon offers contemporary and minimalist decor and charming rooms.
Located five minutes by car from Puerto Viejo, the Cariblue hotel has 22 colourful and comfortable rooms with thatched roofs located around beautiful tropical gardens.
The Shawandha Lodge is comprised of just 13 standard bungalows with lovely decoration, set around beautiful tropical gardens.