Visit San Gerardo de Dota, Costa Rica
The sleepy hamlet of San Gerardo de Dota is about three hours south of San Jose and is famous amongst the world's bird-watching community, with year-round sightings of the Resplendent Quetzal.
This is a much quieter alternative to other areas of cloud-forest in Costa Rica. It is a very peaceful, fairly isolated place and any visit here should be to focus on the beautiful environment and bird-life - purely enjoying your surroundings in simple but comfortable cloud-forest lodges.
Activities that can be arranged include walking, horse-riding and trout-fishing trips, making San Gerardo de Dota a wonderful place to stay for a couple of nights.
Suggested San Gerardo de Dota itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in San Gerardo de Dota, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for San Gerardo de Dota
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit San Gerardo de Dota. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing San Gerardo de Dota
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting San Gerardo de Dota, and which use the best local guides.
Map of San Gerardo de Dota
Places & hotels on the map
Places near San Gerardo de Dota
- Dominical 23 miles away
- Turrialba 25 miles away
- Manuel Antonio 27 miles away
- San José & Central Valley 32 miles away
- Central Pacific Coast 36 miles away
- Esterillos 49 miles away
- El Silencio Lodge 57 miles away
- San Ramon 58 miles away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 62 miles away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 63 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 64 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 72 miles away
- Manzanillo 78 miles away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 83 miles away
- Northern Pacific Coast 85 miles away
- Arenal Volcano 88 miles away
- Punta Islita 111 miles away
- Tenorio Volcano 113 miles away
- Cano Negro 115 miles away
- Rincon de la Vieja 136 miles away
- Tamarindo 148 miles away
- Playa Potrero 148 miles away
- Golfo de Papagayo 159 miles away