One of Costa Rica’s most culturally diverse regions, the Caribbean coast has influences that range from Hispanic and Miskito Indian to Afro-Caribbean.
Tortuguero National Park
There are some beautiful beaches and coral reefs to be found around Cahuita but the main attraction is the Tortuguero National Park. Accessed solely by plane or boat, two or three days roaming this dense network of canals, swamps and waterways by boat and on foot with your guide will provide an opportunity to see an abundance of wildlife.
Sloths, iguanas, brightly-coloured butterflies, poison dart frogs, monkeys, crocodiles and even jaguars are just some of the animals that make up a biodiversity hot-spot that spans 19,000 hectares.
The birdlife here is prolific too with the waterways home to numerous species of waterbirds such as spoonbills, cormorants and herons, with the call of toucans perched in the forest canopy above.
From July to October endangered green turtles climb from the ocean and lay eggs on 35 kilometres of protected shoreline, alongside other nests dug by giant leatherback, hawksbill and loggerhead turtles.
Though this area is one of the most popular destinations in Costa Rica it remains an intriguing part of the country to visit, especially if you are a wildlife enthusiast.
Suggested Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 36 miles away
- Turrialba 39 miles away
- San José & Central Valley 53 miles away
- El Silencio Lodge 58 miles away
- San Gerardo de Dota 63 miles away
- San Ramon 71 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 73 miles away
- Manzanillo 79 miles away
- Arenal Volcano & the Cloudforest Reserves 83 miles away
- Manuel Antonio 85 miles away
- Dominical 85 miles away
- Central Pacific Coast 86 miles away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 86 miles away
- Esterillos 93 miles away
- Cano Negro 95 miles away
- Tenorio Volcano 106 miles away
- Northern Pacific Coast 116 miles away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 122 miles away
- Rincon de la Vieja 129 miles away
- Punta Islita 136 miles away
- Playa Potrero 156 miles away
- Golfo de Papagayo 160 miles away
- Tamarindo 160 miles away
Accommodation choices for Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.