Slightly further afield than the Central Pacific Coast, the Nicoya Peninsula and Guanacaste coastlines are fringed by some of the country’s most idyllic beaches.
Tamarindo is the focal point of Guanacaste with a long, west-facing beach that looks out over unparalleled Pacific sunsets. It is the vibrant heart of the coastline with an excellent selection of restaurants and good nightlife.
Whilst it is home to a few sprawling, all-inclusive resorts, there are a number of smaller, more intimate hotels that provide the seclusion and personalised service that we favour.
If you are looking for something a little more secluded then there are great alternatives slightly to the north, around the isolated beaches and small villages of Playa Potrero.
Nicoya Peninsula and Tambor
To the south there are some charming places around the Nicoya Peninsula and Tambor, with dark sand beaches and gentle surf, the small and intimate area of Punta Islita or the laid back and untouched coastline around Malpaís.
Slow-paced and charming, this region provides a perfect place for a few days to relax either at the beginning or end of a trip to Costa Rica.
Suggested itineraries featuring Northern Pacific Coast
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Northern Pacific Coast, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Northern Pacific Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Northern Pacific Coast
- Punta Islita 27 miles away
- Esterillos 39 miles away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 46 miles away
- San Ramón 47 miles away
- Central Pacific Coast 51 miles away
- Arenal Volcano 57 miles away
- El Silencio Lodge 61 miles away
- Manuel Antonio 65 miles away
- Tenorio Volcano 67 miles away
- San José & Central Valley 67 miles away
- Tamarindo 68 miles away
- Playa Potrero 72 miles away
- Rincón de la Vieja 80 miles away
- Caño Negro 83 miles away
- San Gerardo de Dota 85 miles away
- Dominical 87 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 87 miles away
- Golfo de Papagayo 88 miles away
- Turrialba 93 miles away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 116 miles away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 119 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 156 miles away
- Manzanillo 162 miles away
Photos of Northern Pacific Coast
Accommodation choices for Northern Pacific Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Northern Pacific Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.