Slightly further afield than the central pacific coast, the Nicoya Peninsula and Guanacaste coastlines are fringed by some of the country’s most idyllic beaches.
Tamarindo is the focal point of Guanacaste with a long, west-facing beach that looks out over unparalleled Pacific sunsets. It is the vibrant heart of the coastline with an excellent selection of restaurants and good nightlife.
Whilst it is home to a few sprawling, all-inclusive resorts, there are a number of smaller, more intimate hotels that provide the seclusion and personalized service that we favor.
If you are looking for something a little more secluded then there are great alternatives slightly to the north, around the isolated beaches and small villages of Playa Potrero.
Nicoya Peninsula and Tambor
To the south there are some charming places around the Nicoya Peninsula and Tambor, with dark sand beaches and gentle surf, the small and intimate area of Punta Islita or the laid back and untouched coastline around Malpaís.
Slow-paced and charming, this region provides a perfect place for a few days to relax either at the beginning or end of a trip to Costa Rica.
Suggested itineraries featuring Northern Pacific Coast
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Northern Pacific Coast, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Northern Pacific Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Northern Pacific Coast
- Punta Islita 44 kilometers away
- Esterillos 62 kilometers away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 74 kilometers away
- San Ramon 75 kilometers away
- Central Pacific Coast 82 kilometers away
- Arenal Volcano 91 kilometers away
- El Silencio Lodge 98 kilometers away
- Manuel Antonio 105 kilometers away
- Tenorio Volcano 107 kilometers away
- San José & Central Valley 107 kilometers away
- Tamarindo 110 kilometers away
- Playa Potrero 116 kilometers away
- Rincon de la Vieja 129 kilometers away
- Cano Negro 134 kilometers away
- San Gerardo de Dota 136 kilometers away
- Dominical 139 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 139 kilometers away
- Golfo de Papagayo 142 kilometers away
- Turrialba 149 kilometers away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 186 kilometers away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 187 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 250 kilometers away
- Manzanillo 261 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Northern Pacific Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Northern Pacific Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.