Dominical is a wild and beautiful region situated on the remote south-western Pacific coast of Costa Rica. The area receives far fewer visitors than Manuel Antonio, which is just 40 kilometers north.
Wildlife and landscape
The impressive jungle covered foothills of the Talamanca Mountains are home to a wide variety of birdlife, sloth and monkeys flanked by vast black sand beaches popular with surfers.
Punta Uvita is a jagged reef which has formed just off the coast, creating a sand bar which looks like a giant whale's tail from the air.
The area is well known for its whale and dolphin watching and humpbacks gather in the Marino Ballena National Park from December to March and August to October.
The park also has mangroves teeming with wildlife, rocky islets, coral reefs and pristine dark sand beaches which are important nesting sites for turtles.
Suggested Dominical itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Dominical, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Dominical
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Dominical
- Manuel Antonio 35 kilometers away
- San Gerardo de Dota 36 kilometers away
- Central Pacific Coast 58 kilometers away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 66 kilometers away
- Turrialba 75 kilometers away
- Esterillos 78 kilometers away
- San José & Central Valley 80 kilometers away
- San Ramon 115 kilometers away
- El Silencio Lodge 118 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 130 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 136 kilometers away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 137 kilometers away
- Manzanillo 139 kilometers away
- Northern Pacific Coast 139 kilometers away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 154 kilometers away
- Arenal Volcano & the Cloudforest Reserves 164 kilometers away
- Punta Islita 183 kilometers away
- Tenorio Volcano 203 kilometers away
- Cano Negro 210 kilometers away
- Rincon de la Vieja 239 kilometers away
- Tamarindo 247 kilometers away
- Playa Potrero 249 kilometers away
- Golfo de Papagayo 270 kilometers away