The town of Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui lies two hours northeast of San José but it's the surrounding area that is of interest to the traveler - it is wonderful for the wildlife and nature enthusiast, less-visited than Tortuguero or Monteverde.
Fast becoming an important ecotourism destination Sarapiqui lies near the base of the Cordillera Central range at the convergence of the Rio Sarapiqui and Rio Puerto Viejo, surrounded by agricultural plantations and lush forests. Right in the heart lies La Selva Biological Station which provides a superb scientific insight into the life of the rainforest.
Flora and fauna
It is home to some 400 species of birds, 450 species of trees and over 100 species of mammals and is situated in one of the last remaining areas of primary rainforest in Costa Rica.
Accommodation and activities
Lodges are simple but if you are looking for something a little off the beaten track it is well worth spending a couple of nights here.
The area is increasingly becoming a focus of adventure activity with ziplines, canopy walkways, tubing, river-rafting and horseriding all on offer for your enjoyment.
Suggested Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
- El Silencio Lodge 42 kilometers away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 58 kilometers away
- San José & Central Valley 59 kilometers away
- San Ramon 65 kilometers away
- Turrialba 72 kilometers away
- Arenal Volcano & the Cloudforest Reserves 76 kilometers away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 83 kilometers away
- Cano Negro 99 kilometers away
- San Gerardo de Dota 102 kilometers away
- Central Pacific Coast 113 kilometers away
- Tenorio Volcano 113 kilometers away
- Esterillos 117 kilometers away
- Manuel Antonio 121 kilometers away
- Dominical 136 kilometers away
- Northern Pacific Coast 139 kilometers away
- Rincon de la Vieja 150 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 164 kilometers away
- Punta Islita 167 kilometers away
- Manzanillo 175 kilometers away
- Playa Potrero 193 kilometers away
- Golfo de Papagayo 199 kilometers away
- Tamarindo 201 kilometers away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 201 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, and which use the best local guides.