One of Costa Rica’s most culturally diverse regions, the Caribbean coast has influences that range from Hispanic and Miskito Indian to Afro-Caribbean.
Tortuguero National Park
There are some beautiful beaches and coral reefs to be found around Cahuita but the main attraction is the Tortuguero National Park. Accessed solely by plane or boat, two or three days roaming this dense network of canals, swamps and waterways by boat and on foot with your guide will provide an opportunity to see an abundance of wildlife.
Sloths, iguanas, brightly-colored butterflies, poison dart frogs, monkeys, crocodiles and even jaguars are just some of the animals that make up a biodiversity hot-spot that spans 19,000 hectares.
The birdlife here is prolific too with the waterways home to numerous species of waterbirds such as spoonbills, cormorants and herons, with the call of toucans perched in the forest canopy above.
From July to October endangered green turtles climb from the ocean and lay eggs on 35 kilometers of protected shoreline, alongside other nests dug by giant leatherback, hawksbill and loggerhead turtles.
Though this area is one of the most popular destinations in Costa Rica it remains an intriguing part of the country to visit, especially if you are a wildlife enthusiast.
Suggested itineraries featuring Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 58 kilometers away
- Turrialba 62 kilometers away
- San José & Central Valley 85 kilometers away
- El Silencio Lodge 92 kilometers away
- San Gerardo de Dota 102 kilometers away
- San Ramón 114 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 117 kilometers away
- Manzanillo 127 kilometers away
- Arenal Volcano 134 kilometers away
- Manuel Antonio 137 kilometers away
- Dominical 137 kilometers away
- Central Pacific Coast 138 kilometers away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 139 kilometers away
- Esterillos 150 kilometers away
- Caño Negro 153 kilometers away
- Tenorio Volcano 170 kilometers away
- Northern Pacific Coast 187 kilometers away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 196 kilometers away
- Rincón de la Vieja 207 kilometers away
- Punta Islita 219 kilometers away
- Playa Potrero 251 kilometers away
- Golfo de Papagayo 257 kilometers away
- Tamarindo 258 kilometers away
Photos of Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast
Accommodation choices for Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
A simple but comfortable lodge with excellent guides, providing one of the best bases for a visit to the Tortuguero National Park.
Pachira Lodge is located only five minutes from Tortuguero National Park across the river from the small town of Tortuguero itself. It is surrounded by a network of scenic canals in what is considered one of the most exotic regions of the world.
Manatus Lodge is the most comfortable lodge in Tortuguero and located directly on the river.
Mawamba Lodge is situated on a thin strip of land between Tortuguero's canals and the Caribbean Sea.