Puerto Viejo de Talamanca is a laid-back village on the Caribbean coast, located between the forested hills of the Talamanca mountains and the sea.
By day, it is a quiet sleepy place, where visitors and locals alike meander the streets on bikes and visit the beach, however there is a vibrant and fun social scene in the evening with many restaurants and bars to choose from. It is a popular area for surfers, but also for those looking to get closer to the indigenous people of Costa Rica and wildlife abounds in the area.
The locals are mainly of Afro-Caribbean descent, and consequently the familiar sounds of Bob Marley contribute to the relaxed atmosphere.
The area does have some pleasant beaches, but they are not the typical white sand and bright blue sea of the Caribbean, and you do need to be careful of rip tides if you are planning on swimming.
Suggested itinerary featuring Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
- Manzanillo 11 kilometers away
- Turrialba 106 kilometers away
- San Gerardo de Dota 116 kilometers away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 117 kilometers away
- Dominical 130 kilometers away
- San José & Central Valley 149 kilometers away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 152 kilometers away
- Manuel Antonio 156 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 164 kilometers away
- Central Pacific Coast 173 kilometers away
- El Silencio Lodge 181 kilometers away
- Esterillos 193 kilometers away
- San Ramón 194 kilometers away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 231 kilometers away
- Arenal Volcano 232 kilometers away
- Northern Pacific Coast 250 kilometers away
- Caño Negro 263 kilometers away
- Tenorio Volcano 272 kilometers away
- Punta Islita 291 kilometers away
- Rincón de la Vieja 311 kilometers away
- Playa Potrero 343 kilometers away
- Tamarindo 345 kilometers away
- Golfo de Papagayo 355 kilometers away
Photos of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Accommodation choices for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.