Visit Turrialba, Costa Rica
The verdant Turrialba Valley is nestled against the Caribbean slopes of the Cordillera Central, just 40 miles east of San Jose.
Rains throughout the year have created thick pockets of primary forest connected by important biological corridors whilst the wild waters of the Reventazon River irrigate the valley to sustain extensive plantations of sugar cane, coffee and macadamia.
It also provides some of Costa Rica's most exciting white water rafting.
Landscape and agriculture
A combination of reliable rainfall, numerous powerful rivers and rich volcanic soils have made Turrialba an important agricultural region which has been carefully developed to ensure a balance with nature and conservation.
The lush mountainous landscapes, pristine tropical forests, thundering rivers and wildlife ensures that there is plenty to do in Turrialba; but it is also a great place to discover the agricultural side of the country with a visit one of the plantations to sample some of the best organic produce in Costa Rica.
Suggested itineraries featuring Turrialba
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Turrialba, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Turrialba
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Turrialba
- San Gerardo de Dota 25 miles away
- San José & Central Valley 28 miles away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 39 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 45 miles away
- Dominical 47 miles away
- El Silencio Lodge 48 miles away
- Manuel Antonio 48 miles away
- Central Pacific Coast 52 miles away
- San Ramon 55 miles away
- Esterillos 62 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 66 miles away
- Manzanillo 73 miles away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 78 miles away
- Arenal Volcano 80 miles away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 85 miles away
- Northern Pacific Coast 93 miles away
- Cano Negro 103 miles away
- Tenorio Volcano 105 miles away
- Punta Islita 117 miles away
- Rincon de la Vieja 129 miles away
- Playa Potrero 148 miles away
- Tamarindo 149 miles away
- Golfo de Papagayo 156 miles away
Accommodation choices for Turrialba
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Turrialba. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Turrialba
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Turrialba, and which use the best local guides.