The quaint city of San Ramón is only an hour's drive from San José and is a good place to stop on the way to Arenal or heading down to the Pacific.
It is well known in Costa Rica for its tight-knit, diverse community which has been home to three former presidents. Its main industry is dairy farming, sugar cane and of course coffee plantations.
Rolling hills and pastures give way to pristine tropical cloudforests in the highlands, noted for their variety of epiphytes, mosses and over 225 species of birds.
Few people stay in the town itself but in lodges outside which make for a good base for exploring the central highlands and beautiful mystical dense forests.
Suggested itineraries featuring San Ramón
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in San Ramón, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of San Ramón
Places & hotels on the map
Places near San Ramón
- El Silencio Lodge 15 miles away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 25 miles away
- San José & Central Valley 29 miles away
- Arenal Volcano 31 miles away
- Esterillos 39 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 41 miles away
- Central Pacific Coast 42 miles away
- Northern Pacific Coast 47 miles away
- Manuel Antonio 54 miles away
- Turrialba 55 miles away
- Tenorio Volcano 56 miles away
- San Gerardo de Dota 58 miles away
- Caño Negro 61 miles away
- Punta Islita 66 miles away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 71 miles away
- Dominical 71 miles away
- Rincón de la Vieja 79 miles away
- Playa Potrero 93 miles away
- Tamarindo 95 miles away
- Golfo de Papagayo 102 miles away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 111 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 121 miles away
- Manzanillo 127 miles away
Photos of San Ramón
Accommodation choices for San Ramón
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit San Ramón. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Villa Blanca is located across 75 acres of cultivated land surrounded by the beautiful Los Angeles Cloud Forest, an 800 acre private biological reserve belonging to the property.