Visit Nosy Mangabe, Madagascar
Nosy Mangabe, Madagascar
Nosy Mangabe is a small island located in Antongil Bay two kilometers offshore from Maroantsetra.
The island has a rich history of piracy and arriving by boat it looks exactly like a pirates’ hang-out. Dense vegetation drops to large boulders and hidden coves - one of which has a rusty shipwreck emerging from the shallows.
Wildlife of Nosy Mangabe
The island is a rainforest reserve and sanctuary for the endangered aye-aye which was introduced in 1966. This is the best place in Madagascar to see these fascinating creatures and an overnight stay is recommended to give you the chance to search by torchlight. Other lemurs on the island include black and white ruffed lemur, white-fronted brown lemur and the brown mouse lemur.
As there is no accommodation on the island the only way to stay overnight is to camp. Paths through the forest can be steep so it’s a place for nimble walkers.
Ideas for experiencing Nosy Mangabe
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Nosy Mangabe, and which use the best local guides.
Map of Nosy Mangabe
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Nosy Mangabe
- Maroantsetra 9 kilometers away
- Masoala National Park 41 kilometers away
- Île Sainte-Marie 160 kilometers away
- Ankify 264 kilometers away
- Nosy Komba 273 kilometers away
- Baobab Beach 275 kilometers away
- Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve 279 kilometers away
- Nosy Be 291 kilometers away
- Ankarana Special Reserve 294 kilometers away
- Nosy Mitsio Archipelago 314 kilometers away
- Amber Mountain National Park and Joffreville 336 kilometers away
- Joffreville Ambohitra 340 kilometers away
- Northern Madagascar 349 kilometers away
- The Pangalanes Canal 351 kilometers away
- Mantadia National Park 409 kilometers away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 410 kilometers away
- Antananarivo 451 kilometers away