Visit the Kauri Coast, New Zealand
The quickest way to drive between Auckland and the Bay of Islands is along the eastern route, but the west coast route, passing through ancient kauri forests and lush rolling farmland, is well worth the extra time.
Waipoua Forest is the most significant remnant of the once extensive forests of Northland, and is home to the oldest remaining kauri trees, one over 2,000 years in age, and many with trunks several meters across.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Kauri Coast
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Kauri Coast, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Kauri Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Kauri Coast
- Kerikeri 67 kilometers away
- Paihia 70 kilometers away
- Russell 74 kilometers away
- Matauri Bay 83 kilometers away
- Bay of Islands 83 kilometers away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 117 kilometers away
- Warkworth 128 kilometers away
- Devonport 169 kilometers away
- Auckland 169 kilometers away
- Great Barrier Island 180 kilometers away
- Waiheke Island 182 kilometers away
- Waikato 216 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 242 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 243 kilometers away
- Waitomo 318 kilometers away
- Tauranga 323 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 343 kilometers away
- Rotorua 364 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 376 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 401 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 431 kilometers away
Photos of the Kauri Coast
Accommodation choices for the Kauri Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Kauri Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Nestled on a ridge overlooking the impressive Waipoua Forest, Waipoua Lodge is the perfect base from which to explore the beautiful Kauri Coast.
Ideas for experiencing the Kauri Coast
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting the Kauri Coast, and which use the best local guides.
The spiritual environment of the Waipoua Forest provides a natural stage for an unforgettable encounter with some of the largest remaining kauri trees in the world.