Walvis Bay is a small quirky town, 30 kilometres south of Swakopmund.
The town is focused around the busy harbour with many townspeople employed in the huge fishing and shipping industry that operates out of it.
Birdlife of Walvis Bay
As a tourist, one of the most unique and interesting aspects of Walvis Bay is the huge natural lagoon. This always has numerous seabirds on and around it. Over 100,000 birds were counted on the lagoon, the most noticeable being the flamingos and pelicans. These are joined annually by another 200,000 migratory birds, making this an excellent place for keen birdwatchers.
Walvis Bay is not a particularly attractive town and most tourists use it as a base from which to explore the surrounding area. It is an ideal place from which to enjoy a guided trip to Sandwich Harbour, a freshwater lake surrounded by dunes 50 kilometres south of the town.
It is also very convenient for kayak trips to Pelican Point and the adventurous can go and climb Dune 7, just outside town. In town, attractions include the local museum, birdlife information centre and several restaurants and cafes.
Suggested itineraries featuring Walvis Bay
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Walvis Bay, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Walvis Bay
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Walvis Bay
- Swakopmund and Pelican Point 31 kilometers away
- Erongo Mountains 186 kilometers away
- The Naukluft Mountains 204 kilometers away
- Sossusvlei & Sesriem 215 kilometers away
- Southern Namibia 226 kilometers away
- Windhoek 267 kilometers away
- The Central Highlands 268 kilometers away
- The NamibRand Nature Reserve 282 kilometers away
- Damaraland 324 kilometers away
- Waterberg Plateau 402 kilometers away
- Lüderitz 417 kilometers away
- Aus 450 kilometers away