The centre of all water-based activities in the Bay of Islands, Paihia is surrounded by three pretty bays and sheltered from the ocean by the Russell Peninsula.
The first dwelling was built by Europeans as a mission station in 1823, and from these modest beginnings it has developed into a busy travel hub for the Bay of Islands and the north. From here it is possible to arrange sea kayaking, sailing and much more.
Suggested Paihia itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Paihia, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Paihia
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Paihia
- Russell 5 kilometers away
- Bay of Islands 14 kilometers away
- Kerikeri 14 kilometers away
- Matauri Bay 31 kilometers away
- The Kauri Coast 70 kilometers away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 118 kilometers away
- Warkworth 135 kilometers away
- Great Barrier Island 158 kilometers away
- Devonport 184 kilometers away
- Auckland 185 kilometers away
- Waiheke Island 189 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 238 kilometers away
- Waikato 241 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 246 kilometers away
- Tauranga 327 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 345 kilometers away
- Waitomo 345 kilometers away
- Rotorua 372 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 418 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 421 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 459 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Paihia
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Paihia. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Paihia
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Paihia, and which use the best local guides.