Visit Paihia, New Zealand
The centre of all water-based activities in the Bay of Islands, Paihia is surrounded by three pretty bays and sheltered from the ocean by the Russell Peninsula.
The first dwelling was built by Europeans as a mission station in 1823, and from these modest beginnings it has developed into a busy travel hub for the Bay of Islands and the north. From here it is possible to arrange sea kayaking, sailing and much more.
Suggested itineraries featuring Paihia
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Paihia, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Paihia
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Paihia
- Russell 5 kilometers away
- Bay of Islands 14 kilometers away
- Kerikeri 14 kilometers away
- Matauri Bay 31 kilometers away
- The Kauri Coast 70 kilometers away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 118 kilometers away
- Warkworth 135 kilometers away
- Great Barrier Island 158 kilometers away
- Devonport 184 kilometers away
- Auckland 185 kilometers away
- Waiheke Island 189 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 238 kilometers away
- Waikato 241 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 246 kilometers away
- Tauranga 327 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 345 kilometers away
- Waitomo 345 kilometers away
- Rotorua 372 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 418 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 421 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 459 kilometers away
Photos of Paihia
Accommodation choices for Paihia
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Paihia. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Located high on the hill overlooking Paihia and the ocean, Allegra House is a wonderful place to stay in the heart of the Bay of Islands, with its friendly hosts and rooms that boast excellent views.
A modern bed and breakfast, Decks of Paihia is perched high above the town of Paihia with spacious, en suite rooms and great views over the native bush and out into the bay.
Ideas for experiencing Paihia
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Paihia, and which use the best local guides.
This four hour trip departs from Paihia and Russell in the morning or afternoon on a jet-powered catamaran from which you will meet one of nature's most charming creatures in the warm waters of the Bay of Islands.
Be whisked away by the high speed luxury catamaran for a comfortable journey out through game fishing waters to the Cape Brett Lighthouse before reaching Motukokako Island and the famous 'Hole in the Rock'. The excitement grows as you make passage through the Hole and on to the majestic Grand Cathedral Cave.