Visit Napier, New Zealand
Hawkes Bay is a large and diverse province, famous for its fine wines, sunshine and pristine coastline. Napier is the principal centre, and has a fine coastal position on the sweeping bay.
The town is most famous for its architecture, rebuilt after an earthquake in 1931 in Art Deco style, characterised by the use of symbols of the machine, power, speed, flight, freedom, liberation and newness - in short, by symbols which represent the optimism and confidence of the 1920's and 1930's.
Some of the region's top wineries are only a short distance from the city and can easily be explored by car, on foot or with a tour. South of Napier is Cape Kidnappers, which is home to 15,000 yellow headed gannets.
The scenery is very impressive and at low tide you can walk along the beach to the colony.
Also within the Hawkes Bay region are the interesting towns of Hastings and Havelock North, the former a centre for agriculture and Spanish Mission-style architecture, and the latter known for its gardens, backed against the impressive Te Mata Peak.
Suggested itineraries featuring Napier
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Napier, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
New Zealand and Australia
Map of Napier
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Napier
- Hawke's Bay 12 kilometers away
- Hastings 18 kilometers away
- North Island 95 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 116 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 122 kilometers away
- Eastland & Gisborne 134 kilometers away
- Rotorua 162 kilometers away
- Whanganui National Park 168 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 200 kilometers away
- Waitomo 209 kilometers away
- Tauranga 212 kilometers away
- Greytown 216 kilometers away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 219 kilometers away
- The Kapiti Coast 225 kilometers away
- Martinborough 229 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 250 kilometers away
- Wellington 270 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 288 kilometers away
- Waikato 303 kilometers away
- Marlborough Sounds 303 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 304 kilometers away
- Picton 318 kilometers away
- Blenheim 338 kilometers away
- Waiheke Island 343 kilometers away
- Auckland 350 kilometers away
- Devonport 351 kilometers away
- Nelson 367 kilometers away
- Abel Tasman National Park 373 kilometers away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 384 kilometers away
- Great Barrier Island 390 kilometers away
- Warkworth 398 kilometers away
- Kahurangi National Park 413 kilometers away
- Kaikoura 423 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 482 kilometers away
Photos of Napier
Accommodation choices for Napier
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Napier. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Whilst the exterior structure of this hotel remains basically unchanged from when it was first built in 1861, the hotel has undergone a tasteful facelift, restoring many of the features that make it an art deco icon.
Just a ten minute stroll from the centre of the city of Napier, the Cobden Garden Homestay's three guest rooms with spacious en suite facilities, offer a cosy night's rest.
The Crown Hotel overlooks the waterfront in the village of Ahuriri, Napier, and offers stylish and unique guest suites, ranging from studios to two bedroom luxury apartments.
Ideas for experiencing Napier
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Napier, and which use the best local guides.
Hawkes Bay is beautiful and most importantly flat, which makes it perfect cycling terrain. All bikes are professionally maintained and as well as safety helmets come with baskets or backpacks and visibility flags.