Famous for everything from the Red Sox and Paul Revere to Cheers and clam chowder, Boston is the capital of Massachusetts and the largest city in New England.
Founded in 1630 and one of the oldest and most culturally significant cities in the USA, it is also a modern metropolis with a wide variety of attractions. It's also very easy to get around, either on foot or on the user-friendly public transport system.
The Freedom Trail, a well-preserved pedestrian path, weaves in and out of historic neighbourhoods, from the lively Boston Common and Public Garden to the gold-domed State House, Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall. Between landmarks, you can shop in the fabulous stores on Newbury Street, have a delicious Italian meal in the North End or browse the antique shops and distinctive red brick buildings of Beacon Hill.
The more culturally inclined will not want to miss the city's world-class museums, theatres and music venues, including the John F. Kennedy Library and the Museum of Fine Arts.
Just across the river, the city of Cambridge is home to Harvard University. This family-friendly city also boasts a renowned aquarium, children's museum and science museum, making it a great destination for all.
Suggested itineraries featuring Boston
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Boston, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Boston
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Boston
- Provincetown 80 kilometers away
- Sturbridge 89 kilometers away
- Falmouth 98 kilometers away
- Newport, Rhode Island 100 kilometers away
- Bennington 101 kilometers away
- Hyannis 102 kilometers away
- Martha's Vineyard 115 kilometers away
- Chatham 118 kilometers away
- Kennebunkport 121 kilometers away
- Nantucket 145 kilometers away
- Lenox 184 kilometers away
- Woodstock 184 kilometers away
- Stockbridge 187 kilometers away
- Manchester 187 kilometers away
- North Conway 189 kilometers away
- Lincoln/North Woodstock 193 kilometers away
- Bretton Woods 214 kilometers away
- Sugar Hill 215 kilometers away
- Albany 224 kilometers away
- Saratoga Springs 237 kilometers away
- Lake George 247 kilometers away
- Camden 262 kilometers away
- Burlington 293 kilometers away
- New York 304 kilometers away
- Lake Placid 319 kilometers away
- Bar Harbor 323 kilometers away
- New York State 405 kilometers away
- Philadelphia 437 kilometers away
- Ithaca 448 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Boston
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Boston. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Boston
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Boston, and which use the best local guides.