Visit Newport, Rhode Island, New England
Once the summer playground of America's wealthiest families, Newport remains a popular year-round destination and yachting centre.
You can tour the town's famous mansions, each more opulent than the last, for a fascinating glimpse into Gilded Age extravagance. The largest of these is the 70-room Breakers, whilst Marble House is the most lavish and reputedly cost the original owners, the Vanderbilts, 11 million dollars to build in 1892.
The town also has a good collection of surviving 18th-century houses. The Long Wharf, the Old Colony House, the Synagogue, Trinity Church and Fort Adams, the largest coastal fortification in the USA, are all worth visiting.
While the town rightly emphasises its history with a variety of museums and tours, Newport also has a vibrant, contemporary side, plenty of quirky shops and great restaurants.
Suggested itineraries featuring Newport, Rhode Island
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Newport, Rhode Island, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Newport, Rhode Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Newport, Rhode Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Newport, Rhode Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Newport, Rhode Island
- Martha's Vineyard 36 miles away
- Falmouth 37 miles away
- Hyannis 55 miles away
- Sturbridge 59 miles away
- Boston 62 miles away
- Nantucket 65 miles away
- Provincetown 70 miles away
- Chatham 72 miles away
- Bennington 110 miles away
- Stockbridge 118 miles away
- Lenox 118 miles away
- Kennebunkport 137 miles away
- Manchester 147 miles away
- New York 149 miles away
- Albany 149 miles away
- Woodstock 160 miles away
- Saratoga Springs 168 miles away
- Lincoln/North Woodstock 177 miles away
- North Conway 178 miles away
- Lake George 182 miles away
- Sugar Hill 190 miles away
- Bretton Woods 192 miles away
- Camden 220 miles away
- Burlington 228 miles away
- Philadelphia 229 miles away
- Lake Placid 236 miles away
- Bar Harbor 255 miles away
- New York State 258 miles away
- Ithaca 275 miles away
- Lancaster 281 miles away