Once the summer playground of America's wealthiest families, Newport remains a popular year-round destination and yachting centre.
You can tour the town's famous mansions, each more opulent than the last, for a fascinating glimpse into Gilded Age extravagance. The largest of these is the 70-room Breakers, whilst Marble House is the most lavish and reputedly cost the original owners, the Vanderbilts, 11 million dollars to build in 1892.
The town also has a good collection of surviving 18th-century houses. The Long Wharf, the Old Colony House, the Synagogue, Trinity Church and Fort Adams, the largest coastal fortification in the USA, are all worth visiting.
While the town rightly emphasises its history with a variety of museums and tours, Newport also has a vibrant, contemporary side, plenty of quirky shops and great restaurants.
who's been there
Start planning your tailor-made trip to Newport, Rhode Island by calling one of our New England specialists on 1 800 992 198
Earn 10,000 extra Avios points on trips to the USA with British Airways
Subject to terms and conditionsread more
Suggested itineraries featuring Newport, Rhode Island
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Newport, Rhode Island, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Newport, Rhode Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Newport, Rhode Island
- Martha's Vineyard 58 kilometers away
- Falmouth 59 kilometers away
- Hyannis 88 kilometers away
- Sturbridge 94 kilometers away
- Boston 100 kilometers away
- Nantucket 104 kilometers away
- Provincetown 113 kilometers away
- Chatham 115 kilometers away
- Bennington 177 kilometers away
- Stockbridge 189 kilometers away
- Lenox 190 kilometers away
- Kennebunkport 220 kilometers away
- Manchester 236 kilometers away
- New York 240 kilometers away
- Albany 240 kilometers away
- Woodstock 258 kilometers away
- Saratoga Springs 270 kilometers away
- Lincoln/North Woodstock 285 kilometers away
- North Conway 287 kilometers away
- Lake George 292 kilometers away
- Sugar Hill 306 kilometers away
- Bretton Woods 309 kilometers away
- Camden 354 kilometers away
- Burlington 367 kilometers away
- Philadelphia 368 kilometers away
- Lake Placid 379 kilometers away
- Bar Harbor 410 kilometers away
- New York State 414 kilometers away
- Ithaca 443 kilometers away
- Lancaster 451 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Newport, Rhode Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Newport, Rhode Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.