Dating back to the Chandela dynasty, this complex of 21 exquisite stone-carved temples is mainly famed for its Kama Sutra decorations.
Intricate carvings from the 10th and 11th centuries cover every pillar from plinth to spire and depict battles, heavenly nymphs, banquets, musicians and, of course, erotic figures.
Khajuraho's isolated position saved it from desecration by Muslim invaders, but air travel brings it within easy reach: it is just an hour's flight from Delhi.
Map of Khajuraho
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Khajuraho
- Panna National Park 18 miles away
- Orchha 88 miles away
- Bandhavgarh National Park 108 miles away
- Gwalior 145 miles away
- Chambal Sanctuary 159 miles away
- Kanha National Park 183 miles away
- Satpura National Park 192 miles away
- Varanasi 195 miles away
- Agra 201 miles away
- Fatehpur Sikri 210 miles away
- Pench Tiger Reserve 215 miles away
- Ramathra 221 miles away
- Bharatpur and Keoladeo Ghana National Park 224 miles away
- Ranthambhore National Park 230 miles away
- Bundi 272 miles away
- Bhainsrorgarh 275 miles away
- Jaipur 293 miles away
Photos of Khajuraho
Accommodation choices for Khajuraho
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Khajuraho. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.