Visit Paihia, New Zealand
The centre of all water-based activities in the Bay of Islands, Paihia is surrounded by three pretty bays and sheltered from the ocean by the Russell Peninsula.
The first dwelling was built by Europeans as a mission station in 1823, and from these modest beginnings it has developed into a busy travel hub for the Bay of Islands and the north. From here it is possible to arrange sea kayaking, sailing and much more.
Suggested itineraries featuring Paihia
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Paihia, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Paihia
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Paihia
- Russell less than 5 miles away
- Bay of Islands 9 miles away
- Kerikeri 9 miles away
- Matauri Bay 20 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 44 miles away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 73 miles away
- Warkworth 84 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 98 miles away
- Devonport 114 miles away
- Auckland 115 miles away
- Waiheke Island 118 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 148 miles away
- Waikato 150 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 153 miles away
- Tauranga 203 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 214 miles away
- Waitomo 214 miles away
- Rotorua 232 miles away
- Lake Taupo 260 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 262 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 285 miles away
Accommodation choices for Paihia
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Paihia. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Paihia
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Paihia, and which use the best local guides.