Visit Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
The Hawke’s Bay region, where warm sunny summers and crisp winter frosts create an arena perfect for horticulture, is known as the ‘fruit bowl’ of New Zealand, particularly renowned for its apples and kiwi fruit.
Of greater interest to most visitors, however, are the many local wineries. On the fertile plains between Napier and Hastings lies a veritable treasure trove of vineyards, producing wines of international quality.
Around Hawke's Bay
Stretching along the coast, the crescent-shaped bay and jagged promontory of Cape Kidnappers was so named by Captain Cook who promptly set sail after the local Maori attempted to carry off his translator.
It is now home to the world’s largest and most accessible mainland gannet colony: the birds can be seen preening, performing their unique ritual dance of recognition and surfing the wind currents over the cerulean sea.
Places to visit in Hawke's Bay
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Hawke's Bay, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring Hawke's Bay
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Hawke's Bay, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Hawke's Bay
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Hawke's Bay
- Hastings Hawke's Bay
- Napier Hawke's Bay
- Lake Taupo 80 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 81 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 85 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 107 miles away
- Rotorua 108 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 131 miles away
- Greytown 132 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 134 miles away
- Waitomo 137 miles away
- Tauranga 139 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 139 miles away
- Martinborough 139 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 160 miles away
- Wellington 166 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 186 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 188 miles away
- Waikato 195 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 196 miles away
- Picton 197 miles away
- Blenheim 209 miles away
- Waiheke Island 220 miles away
- Auckland 225 miles away
- Devonport 225 miles away
- Nelson 228 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 233 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 241 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 250 miles away
- Warkworth 254 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 258 miles away
- Kaikoura 261 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 298 miles away
Accommodation choices for Hawke's Bay
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Hawke's Bay. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Hawke's Bay
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Hawke's Bay, and which use the best local guides.