Visit Napier, New Zealand
Hawkes Bay is a large and diverse province, famous for its fine wines, sunshine and pristine coastline. Napier is the principal centre, and has a fine coastal position on the sweeping bay.
The town is most famous for its architecture, rebuilt after an earthquake in 1931 in Art Deco style, characterised by the use of symbols of the machine, power, speed, flight, freedom, liberation and newness - in short, by symbols which represent the optimism and confidence of the 1920's and 1930's.
Some of the region's top wineries are only a short distance from the city and can easily be explored by car, on foot or with a tour. South of Napier is Cape Kidnappers, which is home to 15,000 yellow headed gannets.
The scenery is very impressive and at low tide you can walk along the beach to the colony.
Also within the Hawkes Bay region are the interesting towns of Hastings and Havelock North, the former a centre for agriculture and Spanish Mission-style architecture, and the latter known for its gardens, backed against the impressive Te Mata Peak.
Suggested itineraries featuring Napier
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Napier, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Napier
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Napier
- Hawke's Bay 8 miles away
- Hastings 12 miles away
- Lake Taupo 72 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 76 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 83 miles away
- Rotorua 101 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 104 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 124 miles away
- Waitomo 130 miles away
- Tauranga 132 miles away
- Greytown 134 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 136 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 140 miles away
- Martinborough 142 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 155 miles away
- Wellington 168 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 179 miles away
- Waikato 188 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 188 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 189 miles away
- Picton 198 miles away
- Blenheim 210 miles away
- Waiheke Island 213 miles away
- Auckland 218 miles away
- Devonport 218 miles away
- Nelson 228 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 232 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 239 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 243 miles away
- Warkworth 247 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 257 miles away
- Kaikoura 263 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 299 miles away
Accommodation choices for Napier
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Napier. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Napier
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Napier, and which use the best local guides.