Visit Abel Tasman National Park, New Zealand
Abel Tasman National Park has a colourful and extensive history, from Maori habitation through European settlement: it is now one of New Zealand’s smallest, but most beautiful National Parks, with native forest-fringed perfect golden beaches.
The park is at the northern end of a range of marble and limestone hills whose interior is honeycombed with caves and potholes.
Exploring the park
The park is best known for its coastal track, but you can also access the National Park via sea-kayaks, a wonderful way to appreciate the remote beaches and varied wildlife.
A perfect day can be spent paddling into a slowly filling estuary or drifting silently in the current watching seals, penguins, dolphins or birdlife. To explore a little further, there are three- and five-day kayaking trips available, camping overnight.
The joy of the Abel Tasman National Park is its accessibility: it has something for everyone. You can explore the park on a small group tour, with a private guide or independently.
You can walk the Abel Tasman Track in full, choose a section, or take to the water and kayak around its seaboard. We can arrange a combination of all these options or tailor trips to your interests, be they wildlife, hiking or simply enjoying the scenery.
Suggested itineraries featuring Abel Tasman National Park
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Abel Tasman National Park, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Abel Tasman National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Abel Tasman National Park
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 23 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 26 miles away
- Nelson 30 miles away
- Picton 61 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 62 miles away
- Blenheim 66 miles away
- Wellington 98 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 107 miles away
- Kaikoura 109 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 111 miles away
- Punakaiki 118 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 130 miles away
- Greytown 132 miles away
- Martinborough 133 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 134 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 143 miles away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 158 miles away
- Hokitika 161 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 181 miles away
- Christchurch 181 miles away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 200 miles away
- Waitomo 217 miles away
- Hastings 224 miles away
- Lake Taupo 227 miles away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 232 miles away
- Napier 232 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 233 miles away
- Mount Cook National Park 244 miles away
- Lake Tekapo 248 miles away
- Rotorua 261 miles away
- Waikato 263 miles away
- Twizel 273 miles away
- Tauranga 283 miles away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 286 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 287 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 297 miles away
- Auckland 299 miles away
Accommodation choices for Abel Tasman National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Abel Tasman National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Abel Tasman National Park
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Abel Tasman National Park, and which use the best local guides.