Visit Haast & Lake Moeraki, New Zealand
For the keen ornithologist, a visit to Haast undoubtedly offers new species to tick off your list: fantail, tui, bellbird, grey warbler and the elusive kiwi are some of the many breeds of bird one may find in this coastal district.
Nestled in the abundant lowland forests in the South West New Zealand National Heritage site, Haast is placed amongst some of the country’s most dramatic and distinctive flora and fauna. Just north of Haast, Lake Moeraki is a fabulous fishing lake enclosed by a pristine, virgin rainforest.
Suggested itineraries featuring Haast & Lake Moeraki
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Haast & Lake Moeraki, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Haast & Lake Moeraki
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Haast & Lake Moeraki
- Mount Cook National Park 54 miles away
- Lake Wanaka 57 miles away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 57 miles away
- Twizel 59 miles away
- Lake Tekapo 72 miles away
- Arrowtown 74 miles away
- Glenorchy 75 miles away
- Milford Sound 78 miles away
- Queenstown 82 miles away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 125 miles away
- Hokitika 126 miles away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 142 miles away
- Doubtful Sound 143 miles away
- Dunedin 156 miles away
- The Otago Peninsula 159 miles away
- Punakaiki 169 miles away
- Christchurch 181 miles away
- The Catlins 187 miles away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 196 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 213 miles away
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 220 miles away
- Kaikoura 255 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 267 miles away
- Nelson 282 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 286 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 290 miles away
- Blenheim 298 miles away
Photos of Haast & Lake Moeraki
Accommodation choices for Haast & Lake Moeraki
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Haast & Lake Moeraki. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Perfect for nature lovers, Lake Moeraki Wilderness Lodge is a charming eco-lodge that offers a wide range of outdoor activities.