Princess Royal Island is located among the isolated inlets and islands of Canada’s west coast, in the heart of the world-famous Great Bear Rainforest.
This is an extremely remote area of British Columbia, accessible only by boat or air.
Apart from the native Tsimshiam, who once inhabited a coastal village on the island but now no longer live there, almost no people have entered the inland rainforest of Princess Royal Island.
Kermode (or spirit) bear
The island is best known as being home to the legendary white Kermode or spirit bear which can't be found anywhere else in the world. A unique double recessive gene required by both parents produces these extremely rare white bears.
This beautiful island has a diverse habitat, ranging from sandy beaches, lowland old-growth rainforest, sub-alpine parklands, and alpine tundra; all interspersed with fiords, estuaries, and lakes.
Map of Princess Royal Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Princess Royal Island
- Bella Coola 94 miles away
- Prince Rupert 113 miles away
- Haida Gwaii 155 miles away
- Port Hardy 165 miles away
- British Columbia 187 miles away
- Northern Vancouver Island 232 miles away
- Campbell River 255 miles away
- Prince George 258 miles away
- The Sunshine Coast & Desolation Sound 270 miles away
- Vancouver Island 273 miles away
- Tofino 293 miles away