Visit Kinabatangan River, Borneo
Sabah’s longest river is home to an impressive array of wildlife and is a real highlight of any trip to Borneo.
A small boat will navigate you through the peaceful jungle backwaters and smaller river tributaries.
Along the banks, thick green rainforest provides a home for macaques, monitor lizards, elephants and, most famously, the proboscis monkey, with his unique colouring, large nose and harem of wives. Late afternoon is a great time to watch the monkeys as they jump from one side of the bank to the other in front of your boat.
The river is also a paradise for birdwatchers with a huge variety of species, including rhinoceros hornbills, crested serpent eagles and blue-banded kingfishers.
Suggested itineraries featuring Kinabatangan River
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Kinabatangan River, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Our expert guides to exploring Kinabatangan River
Written by our specialists from their own experiences of visiting Kinabatangan River, these guides will help you make the most of your time there. We share both our practical recommendations and the best ways to appreciate Kinabatangan River at its best.
Accommodation choices for Kinabatangan River
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Kinabatangan River. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Kinabatangan River
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Kinabatangan River, and which use the best local guides.
Map of Kinabatangan River
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Kinabatangan River
- Sepilok 34 kilometers away
- Sandakan 35 kilometers away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 63 kilometers away
- Garama Wetlands 72 kilometers away
- Danum Valley 84 kilometers away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 114 kilometers away
- Maliau Basin 122 kilometers away
- Mount Kinabalu 162 kilometers away
- Kinabalu National Park 162 kilometers away
- Kota Kinabalu 207 kilometers away
- Gaya Island 217 kilometers away
- Manukan Island 219 kilometers away
- Brunei 339 kilometers away
- Mulu National Park 371 kilometers away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 459 kilometers away