Visit Satpura National Park, India
The Satpura National Park is the least known and least visited park in Central India and takes its name from the Satpura hill ranges of Madhya Pradesh.
Created in 1981 the park covers an area of 524 km² and along with the adjoining Bori and Pachmarhi Sanctuaries, provides 1427 km² of unique Central Indian Highland ecosystem.
Satpura National Park supports an array of mammals that include the tiger, leopard, sambar, chital, nilgai, four-horned antelope, chinkara, bison, wild boar and wild dog etc. It's a great place to see the sloth bear and good number of sightings have been recorded recently. There are a variety of birds, hornbills and peafowl being the most common ones.
The flora of the national park consists of mainly sal, teak, mahua, bamboo, and a variety of grasses and medicinal plants.
The terrain of the national park is extremely rugged and consists of sandstone peaks, narrow gorges and ravines. The scenery is beautiful, with the densely forested hills reflected in the vast sparkling water of the Tawa reservoir.
Though it's one of the most exciting tiger habitats, Satpura is not the best place to see tigers, but as it's virtually free of tourists, you have the privilege of exploring the reserve in a way unknown in any other tiger reserve - on foot, by canoe or kayak, by elephant, jeep and from carefully sited hides.
The nearest town to the national park is Pachmarhi and the nearest railhead is Piparia, 55 km away. The state capital Bhopal is situated at a distance of 210 km.
Suggested itineraries featuring Satpura National Park
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Satpura National Park, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Satpura National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Satpura National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Satpura National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Satpura National Park
- Pench Tiger Reserve 159 kilometers away
- Kanha National Park 244 kilometers away
- Bandhavgarh National Park 251 kilometers away
- Tadoba National Park 279 kilometers away
- Maheshwar 280 kilometers away
- Panna National Park 293 kilometers away
- Khajuraho 309 kilometers away
- Orchha 319 kilometers away
- Bhainsrogarh 390 kilometers away
- Gwalior 414 kilometers away
- Bundi 422 kilometers away
- Aurangabad 423 kilometers away
- Ranthambhore National Park 430 kilometers away
- Ramathra 446 kilometers away
- Chittorgarh 456 kilometers away
- Chambal Sanctuary 474 kilometers away