Visit Brunei, Borneo
The Sultanate of Brunei is famed for its wealth, with oil having brought a lifestyle unrivalled across Southeast Asia.
The peaceful country is divided into four districts occupying just 5,765 square kilometres, over 70% of which is pristine rainforest.
The climate is hot and humid and although the wet season is between November and February, tropical showers are possible at anytime. Alcohol is not sold anywhere in the country but can easily be brought in with the correct paperwork.
Stilt village of Kampong Ayer
Bandar Seri Begawan, the capital, is home to splendid mosques, the lavish Istana Nurul Iman, the official residence of the Sultan and some impressive museums with the Royal Regalia Building housing a unique collection of Royal Bruneinan artefacts. In contrast, the Gadong Area is the city’s premier commercial and shopping district, where good restaurants, department stores and cinemas are located. The city’s most spectacular sight is Kampong Ayer, the world’s largest stilt village, which is home to around 30,000 people.
Temburong District is the place to explore Brunei’s virgin rainforest. Separated from the rest of the nation by the Brunei Bay and a sliver of Sarawak, Temburong is best accessed by fast river- and local longtailed boats. Steep forest paths wind through the national park’s lush jungle and the canopy walkway affords superb views over the diverse treetop ecosystem. The cool waterfalls and shady rock pools provide the perfect spot for a rest or swim whilst enjoying the jungle chorus.
Map of Brunei
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Brunei
- Mulu National Park 107 kilometers away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 127 kilometers away
- Manukan Island 165 kilometers away
- Gaya Island 171 kilometers away
- Kota Kinabalu 174 kilometers away
- Kinabalu National Park 216 kilometers away
- Mount Kinabalu 220 kilometers away
- Maliau Basin 250 kilometers away
- Garama Wetlands 267 kilometers away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 278 kilometers away
- Danum Valley 318 kilometers away
- Kinabatangan River 339 kilometers away
- Sepilok 349 kilometers away
- Sandakan 360 kilometers away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 438 kilometers away
- Sibu 455 kilometers away