Visit Princess Royal Island, Canada
Princess Royal Island is an extremely remote area, accessible only by boat or air. It is home to the legendary white kermode, or spirit bear, which not to be found anywhere else in the world.
Princess Royal Island, Canada
Princess Royal Island is located amongst the isolated inlets and islands of Canada’s west coast, in the heart of the world famous Great Bear Rainforest.
This is an extremely remote area of British Columbia, accessible only by boat or air.
Apart from the native Tsimshiam, who once inhabited a coastal village on the island but now no longer live there, almost no people have entered the inland rainforest of Princess Royal Island.
Kermode (or spirit) bear
The island is best known as being home to the legendary white kermode or spirit bear which not to be found anywhere else in the world. A unique double recessive gene required by both parents produces these extremely rare white bears.
This beautiful island has a diverse habitat, ranging from sandy beaches, lowland old-growth rainforest, sub-alpine parklands, and alpine tundra; all interspersed with fiords, estuaries, and lakes.
Map of Princess Royal Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Princess Royal Island
- Bella Coola 151 kilometers away
- Prince Rupert 181 kilometers away
- Haida Gwaii 249 kilometers away
- Port Hardy 266 kilometers away
- British Columbia 301 kilometers away
- Northern Vancouver Island 372 kilometers away
- Campbell River 410 kilometers away
- Prince George 415 kilometers away
- The Sunshine Coast & Desolation Sound 435 kilometers away
- Vancouver Island 439 kilometers away
- Tofino 471 kilometers away