The rolling ranching country and immense forests of British Columbia’s interior plateau extends north from Lillooet between the Coast Mountains to the west and the Cariboo Mountains in the east: it is known as the Cariboo.
Gold rush history
The region became prominent with the discovery of gold and, between 1862 and 1870, over 100,000 people travelled from Lillooet along the Cariboo wagon road to the gold fields. A number of roadhouses were built to supply this human tide, 100 Mile House was originally one of these stopping points, so named because it was located 100 miles from Lillooet.
Other settlements established at this time include Clinton, Williams Lake, Quesnel and Barkerville which, as a restored gold rush town, is the most atmospheric.
As the gold rush subsided some prospectors stayed to farm the land: today this is prime ranching country, criss-crossed by the canyons and ravines of the Fraser and Thompson rivers.
Suggested itinerary featuring the Cariboo
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Cariboo, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Cariboo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Cariboo
- Sun Peaks 54 miles away
- Wells Gray Provincial Park 54 miles away
- Jasper 119 miles away
- Naramata & Okanagan Valley 144 miles away
- Field 154 miles away
- Yoho National Park 156 miles away
- Whistler 166 miles away
- Lake Louise 167 miles away
- The Kootenays 180 miles away
- Prince George 194 miles away
- Banff 196 miles away
- The Purcell Mountains 199 miles away
- Canmore 207 miles away
- Vancouver 215 miles away
- The Sunshine Coast & Desolation Sound 237 miles away
- Salt Spring Island 250 miles away
- Campbell River 254 miles away
- Calgary 262 miles away
- Fernie 264 miles away
- Victoria 268 miles away
- Northern Vancouver Island 272 miles away
- British Columbia 278 miles away
- Vancouver Island 279 miles away
- Bella Coola 293 miles away
Accommodation choices for the Cariboo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Cariboo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.