Visit the Kootenays, Canada
The Kootenay Rockies are British Columbia’s answer to Alberta’s famed Rocky Mountains and hold the same UNESCO World Heritage Site status.
Just as big and beautiful, they are far less visited and offer visitors the chance to have the really big open scenery to themselves.
Wildlife of the Kootenay Rockies
Wedged between the mountains are sparsely populated valleys with large numbers of grizzly and black bears, deer, moose and elk: you have an excellent chance of seeing the large mammals.
Assorted mountain ranges
Located in the south-eastern corner of the province, between the Okanagan and Banff, the region includes several different mountain ranges, including the Rockies, Purcells, Selkirks and Monashees.
The area does not get the same level of publicity as its Alberta counterpart but it should: it’s an undiscovered gem.
Suggested Kootenays itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Kootenays, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Kootenays
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Kootenays
- Banff 41 kilometers away
- Canmore 51 kilometers away
- Yoho National Park 52 kilometers away
- Lake Louise 53 kilometers away
- Field 58 kilometers away
- The Purcell Mountains 92 kilometers away
- Calgary 139 kilometers away
- Fernie 177 kilometers away
- Claresholm 204 kilometers away
- Head Smashed-in Buffalo Jump 220 kilometers away
- Jasper 255 kilometers away
- Waterton Lakes National Park 261 kilometers away
- The Cariboo 289 kilometers away
- Naramata & Okanagan Valley 296 kilometers away
- Dinosaur Provincial Park 322 kilometers away
- Wells Gray Provincial Park 333 kilometers away
- Edmonton 335 kilometers away
- Writing-on-Stone Provinical Park 379 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Kootenays
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Kootenays. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Cross River Cabins are a real find. Located in a spectacular area of Kootenay National Park, they offer a great blend of adventure and relaxation, together with warm hospitality from the owners, Rob Patenaude, his wife Marilyn and their son Troy.
Bugaboos Lodge consists of 34 rooms and offers spectacular views of the Bugaboos, and the great glaciers below them.