Visit Lake Malawi, Malawi
Lake Malawi, sometimes known as the Lake of Stars after the reflection of the stars in its clear waters, covers roughly one-fifth of Malawi.
Golden beaches can be found around the shores of the lake and its waters contain many endemic tropical fish. There are tiny islands offering delightful hideaways for those seeking relaxation and watersports.
Swimming in the clear water, snorkelling, scuba diving, kayaking or simply swinging in a hammock and enjoying the views are just some of the activities on offer.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lake Malawi
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lake Malawi, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Our expert guides to exploring Lake Malawi
Written by our specialists from their own experiences of visiting Lake Malawi, these guides will help you make the most of your time there. We share both our practical recommendations and the best ways to appreciate Lake Malawi at its best.
Accommodation choices for Lake Malawi
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Malawi. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Lake Malawi
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Lake Malawi
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore Lake Malawi
- The Northern Lakeshore Lake Malawi
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear Lake Malawi
- Viphya Forest Mountains 61 kilometers away
- Vwaza Marsh 119 kilometers away
- Nyika Plateau 126 kilometers away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 143 kilometers away
- Lilongwe 264 kilometers away
- Liwonde National Park 377 kilometers away
- Zomba Plateau 428 kilometers away
- Majete Wildlife Reserve 472 kilometers away