At the heart of New Zealand’s geothermal activity and a major focus for Maori culture, Rotorua is situated on the southern shore of Lake Rotorua.
Throughout and around the town steamy mineral lakes, bursting geysers and bubbling mud pools release a pungent smell as hydrogen gas pours out of countless bores and ground fissures.
With examples of striking Tudor-style architecture, parts of this busy town are very attractive, and the Rotorua Bath House, an architectural icon, now houses a museum that reveals the mythology, history and geology of the area.
People have been bathing in the hot springs for centuries, believing the mineral-rich waters have health-giving properties, and a soak in one of the many spa complexes is highly recommended.
The town also has a large Maori population, whose cultural activities are among the most interesting and accessible in all New Zealand. The deep-rooted concept of ‘manaakitanga’ – the responsibility of a host to give the best of themselves, their time and their history – is hugely evident here.
Suggested itineraries featuring Rotorua
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Rotorua, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Rotorua
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Rotorua
- Bay of Plenty 29 miles away
- Tauranga 32 miles away
- Lake Taupo 40 miles away
- Waitomo 63 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 79 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 85 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 89 miles away
- Waikato 98 miles away
- Napier 101 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 104 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 108 miles away
- Hastings 109 miles away
- Waiheke Island 115 miles away
- Auckland 121 miles away
- Devonport 121 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 134 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 140 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 143 miles away
- Warkworth 149 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 201 miles away
- Greytown 208 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 212 miles away
- Martinborough 217 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 226 miles away
- Paihia 232 miles away
- Russell 232 miles away
- Wellington 232 miles away
- Bay of Islands 235 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 238 miles away
- Kerikeri 239 miles away
- Picton 249 miles away
- Matauri Bay 251 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 259 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 261 miles away
- Blenheim 264 miles away
- Nelson 268 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 281 miles away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 297 miles away
Accommodation choices for Rotorua
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Rotorua. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Rotorua
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Rotorua, and which use the best local guides.