The Eastern Townships, or les Cantons de l’Est, lie on Québec’s southern border with Vermont and New Hampshire.
They were settled by United Empire Loyalists, who were hounded out of the United States after the American Revolution. Their loyalty to the crown was rewarded by the British with freehold land grants which led to many towns being given firmly English names.
Today most residents are francophone although the towns and villages around Knowlton and North Hatley remain staunchly tied to their British roots.
This is a region of prosperous farms, splendid old mansions, antique and craft shops and pretty lake-studded hills.
Map of Eastern Townships
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Eastern Townships
- Montréal 94 miles away
- Québec City 116 miles away
- Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve 129 miles away
- Laurentian Mountains 158 miles away
- Mont-Tremblant 158 miles away
- La Malbaie 187 miles away
- Charlevoix & Saguenay - Lac St. Jean 194 miles away
- Ottawa 195 miles away
- Saint Andrews by-the-Sea 228 miles away
- Saint John 275 miles away
- The Bay of Fundy 277 miles away
- Prince Edward County 285 miles away
- New Brunswick 289 miles away