La Malbaie ("Bad Bay") is so called because Samuel de Champlain ran aground here in 1608. The village and the surrounding region of the Charlevoix is steeped in early French colonial history which continues to influence life here today.
The town is situated at the confluence of the Malbaie and St. Lawrence rivers and it was the rivers that brought the steamers in the early years of the twentieth century. These in turn brought wealthy visitors from Toronto, New York and further afield, and promoted La Malbaie as an affluent recreational region early on.
Things to see and do
La Malbaie is ideally located for exploring the delightful surrounding countryside and the spectacular Saguenay Fjord. In addition, the Parc des Hautes Gorges de la Rivière Malbaie is a highlight of the area, as is whale watching at nearby Tadoussac.
If you are staying in La Malbaie, do visit the fascinating museum of Charlevoix then take a walk along the waterfront at Pointe au Pic to the Rue du Quai, an area of colourful renovated historic wooden houses. Then take the steep steps up to the grandiose Le Manoir Richelieu, a wonderful place for a drink on the terrace overlooking the ever-changing waters of the St Lawrence.
At nearby Sainte Irénée, the Domaine Forget is a not-for-profit music and dance establishment. Renowned for Sunday brunch concerts overlooking the St. Lawrence River, they also offer evening events throughout the year.
Map of La Malbaie
Places & hotels on the map
Places near La Malbaie
- Charlevoix & Saguenay - Lac St. Jean 8 miles away
- Québec City 77 miles away
- Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve 159 miles away
- Eastern Townships 187 miles away
- New Brunswick 200 miles away
- Québec 206 miles away
- Montréal 221 miles away
- Saint Andrews by-the-Sea 233 miles away
- Laurentian Mountains 234 miles away
- Mont-Tremblant 234 miles away
- Caraquet 242 miles away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 252 miles away
- Saint John 256 miles away
- The Bay of Fundy 270 miles away
- The Gaspé Peninsula 274 miles away
- West Point 282 miles away
- Riverside-Albert 289 miles away
- Annapolis Royal 300 miles away