Visit the Great Ocean Road, Australia
Hugging the contours of Victoria’s rugged coast, this famous road snakes from the surf-capital of Torquay past cliffs, scenic lookouts, rainforests, wrecked ships, and laidback fishing villages on its way to Port Fairy.
Between Angelsea and Lorne the Otway Ranges forests are riven with waterfalls and bushwalks, with the Otway Fly walkway offering you a chance to explore the forest canopy.
Along the Great Ocean Road
Drive along the coastline past the tiny hamlets of Wye River and Skenes Creek to Apollo Bay, and briefly head inland to Lavers Hill, the highest point in the Otway Ranges, where Melba Gully has one of the most impressive rainforest walks.
Princetown marks the boundaries of the Otway and Port Campbell National Parks, where the spectacular Shipwreck Coast starts. Picturesque Warrnambool, less than half an hour from Port Fairy, is a lovely maritime village where each June southern ‘right whales’ visit to calve offshore.
Places to visit in the Great Ocean Road
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Great Ocean Road, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested Great Ocean Road itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Great Ocean Road, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for the Great Ocean Road
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Great Ocean Road. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of the Great Ocean Road
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Great Ocean Road
- Apollo Bay The Great Ocean Road
- Port Fairy The Great Ocean Road
- The Shipwreck Coast The Great Ocean Road
- Queenscliff 105 kilometers away
- Mornington Peninsula 142 kilometers away
- Phillip Island 143 kilometers away
- Melbourne 156 kilometers away
- Daylesford & Macedon Ranges 166 kilometers away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 196 kilometers away
- The Grampians National Park 205 kilometers away
- Victoria 216 kilometers away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 234 kilometers away
- Walhalla 262 kilometers away
- Stanley 263 kilometers away
- The Gippsland Lakes 347 kilometers away
- Metung 380 kilometers away
- Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park 381 kilometers away
- Robe 387 kilometers away
- Deloraine 399 kilometers away
- Strahan & Gordon River 401 kilometers away
- Launceston 419 kilometers away
- Tasmania 453 kilometers away