At the heart of the towering mountains and turquoise lakes of Jasper National Park, the small town of Jasper lies at the confluence of the Athabasca and Miette rivers.
This pleasant place can be reached by car or by rail from Prince George, Vancouver or Edmonton and is ideally located for exploring the northern regions of the Rockies and still retains a frontier feel. Though it is small enough to walk around, it offers every amenity with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops.
Scenery of Jasper
These man-made attractions pale into insignificance against the stupendous beauty of the surrounding national park where nature is revealed in all her might and majesty. Spirit Island, situated in Maligne Lake, is an icon of the Rockies, as is nearby Maligne Canyon. Other highlights include Miette Hot Springs, Medicine Lake, and rafting along the Athabasca River.
Activities and wildlife
The region abounds in wildlife: elk, moose, mountain goats and bears are just some of the animals frequently seen. Active options include guided walks in the mountains, 4WD expeditions into the nearby Columbia Icefields and thrilling helicopter flights over the mountains.
Suggested itineraries featuring Jasper
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Jasper, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Jasper
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Jasper
- Wells Gray Provincial Park 156 kilometers away
- The Cariboo 191 kilometers away
- Field 198 kilometers away
- Yoho National Park 204 kilometers away
- Lake Louise 208 kilometers away
- The Kootenays 255 kilometers away
- Banff 256 kilometers away
- Canmore 274 kilometers away
- Edmonton 314 kilometers away
- Prince George 331 kilometers away
- The Purcell Mountains 332 kilometers away
- Calgary 343 kilometers away
- Naramata & Okanagan Valley 381 kilometers away
- Alberta 407 kilometers away
- Fernie 430 kilometers away
- Claresholm 446 kilometers away
- Whistler 457 kilometers away
- Head Smashed-in Buffalo Jump 469 kilometers away
- British Columbia 482 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Jasper
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Jasper. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Jasper
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Jasper, and which use the best local guides.