Visit Wells Gray Provincial Park, Canada
Wells Gray Provincial Park is one of Canada’s most beautiful parks and is renowned for its wildlife viewing, its many thundering waterfalls and remarkable white water rafting.
Set in the Caribou Mountains about halfway between Kamloops and Jasper, the park was established in 1939 across an enormous 541,000 hectares.
Most people enter the park via the town of Clearwater and travel to the heart of the park on the Wells Gray Corridor, with extensive interpretive guiding available from Parks Canada, to introduce the flora and fauna.
Wildlife of Wells Gray Provincial Park
Black bears are commonly seen in May and June as they visit the valley floors to feed on new shoots while deer and moose are frequent sightings throughout the summer and wolves are also commonly seen. From June onwards alpine flower meadows transform the landscape above the treeline, with some of the finest found on Trophy Mountain, and provide a stunning backdrop to excursions on horseback, canoe and on foot.
The many stunning waterfalls include Dawson and Spahats Falls, but the most impressive of all is Helmcken Falls which plunges 140 metres into an abyss and, through the winter, freezes into a great tower of ice.
Suggested itineraries featuring Wells Gray Provincial Park
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Wells Gray Provincial Park, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Wells Gray Provincial Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Wells Gray Provincial Park
- The Cariboo 87 kilometers away
- Jasper 156 kilometers away
- Prince George 236 kilometers away
- Field 282 kilometers away
- Yoho National Park 287 kilometers away
- Lake Louise 301 kilometers away
- Naramata & Okanagan Valley 318 kilometers away
- Whistler 319 kilometers away
- The Kootenays 333 kilometers away
- Banff 351 kilometers away
- Canmore 369 kilometers away
- British Columbia 380 kilometers away
- The Purcell Mountains 380 kilometers away
- Vancouver 406 kilometers away
- The Sunshine Coast & Desolation Sound 415 kilometers away
- Campbell River 439 kilometers away
- Bella Coola 445 kilometers away
- Calgary 453 kilometers away
- Northern Vancouver Island 460 kilometers away
- Salt Spring Island 464 kilometers away
- Edmonton 470 kilometers away
Photos of Wells Gray Provincial Park
Accommodation choices for Wells Gray Provincial Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Wells Gray Provincial Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Situated a short drive from many of Wells Gray’s most impressive waterfalls and hiking trails, this four-cabin family-owned property is set among peaceful, extensive grounds. Paddle a canoe on the private lake, or sit watching hummingbirds from your porch.
Situated in the remote surrounds of Wells Gray Provincial Park, the Blue Grouse Country Inn is a ranch-style bed and breakfast with dramatic views of the surrounding forests and the Cariboo Mountains.
On the edge of pristine Dutch Lake in the small town of Clearwater, the Lake House provides an intimate and tranquil retreat for those wishing to explore nearby Wells Gray Provincial Park.