In the City: Vancouver
Whether you want to learn about First Nations culture and history, go whale watching or sea-kayaking, sit on the beach or simply enjoy some top-class dining, shopping and entertainment, multi-cultural Vancouver has it all.
Coal Harbour, Vancouver, Canada
Just one visit and you’ll understand why Vancouver is regularly voted one of the best places in the world to live. Offering the cosmopolitan vibe of a major city, yet compact and simple to navigate, Vancouver also sits in a spectacular natural setting. Snow-capped peaks, pretty beaches and lush rainforest are within easy reach of the historic streets of Gastown, the exotic sights and smells of Chinatown and the laid-back delights of boho Granville Island. Whether you want to learn about First Nations culture and history, go whale watching or sea-kayaking, sit on the beach or simply enjoy some top-class dining, shopping and entertainment, multi-cultural Vancouver has it all.
- Walking Tours - Vancouver is a great place to explore on foot. In just a few hours you can discover the city’s early history on the celebrated streets of Gastown, explore Chinatown’s vibrant laneways and take a tour through the trendy up and coming district of Yaletown.
- Stanley Park - The jewel in Vancouver’s crown, Stanley Park covers some 1,000 acres of old-growth rainforest and lies just a few minutes from the city centre. Bounded by a nine-kilometre-long sea wall, the park is a great place to hire a bicycle or take the hop-on, hop-off trolley bus to see its giant cedars, colourful totem poles, beautiful beaches and manicured gardens.
- Bard on the Beach - Set in a giant tented complex in spectacular Vanier Park, Bard on the Beach is an open-air Shakespearean festival that takes place each summer. As the professional repertory company takes to the stage you can watch the sun set over the mountains behind them – a truly unforgettable experience.
- Seaplane Flight - There is no better way to appreciate Vancouver’s magnificent natural setting than to take a thrilling seaplane flight. Departing from Coal Harbour, adjacent to the cruise ship terminal, a short 30 minute flight will give you a bird’s eye perspective of the city and its proximity to the mountains and the lush forests of the coast.
- Granville Island - Accessed by water taxi, this lovely island offers a refuge from the bustle of the city. Open air cafés with live music, an independent brewery and ships’ chandlers vie for your attention and create a fun, relaxed ambience. The centrepiece of the island is the market, where local artisans and farmers sell a range of delicious produce such as Dungeness crabs and homemade cheeses.
A winding stone staircase leads upwards from bustling Robson Street to this celebrated Vancouver restaurant, recognised for its contemporary Italian menu and award-winning wine cellar.
The Fish House, Stanley Park
Amongst the spectacular gardens and forests of Stanley Park lies the Fish House. Here you can feast on mouth-watering dishes such as salmon wellington, oysters and steamed mussels whilst taking in the scenic beauty of the park.
Bacchus at the Wedgewood Hotel
Elegant surroundings, superbly attentive service and sublime modern French cuisine are the hallmarks of this award-winning restaurant. This is the place to see and be seen in Vancouver. Go along for Sunday brunch or just pop in for afternoon tea.
Tojo is considered a master of sashimi and his renowned Japanese seafood restaurant never disappoints. For a meal to remember try the meltin- the-mouth sushi, lightly-fried red tuna wrapped with seaweed or the sautéed halibut cheeks.
Experience: Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver
If you want a luxury waterfront hotel in Vancouver, with views that do justice to its superb location, then the Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver is the one for you. The hotel boasts a choice of restaurants, a fitness club, spa, and a rooftop saltwater swimming pool – the perfect place to watch the cruise ships and sea-planes coming and going.
Clean and Comfortable: Listel Hotel
Superbly located on Robson Street, one of the city’s main shopping thoroughfares, the Listel Hotel is a stylish, modern place with a variety of comfortable rooms, many furnished with original works of art. Attached to the hotel is the superb O’Doull’s Jazz Bar and Restaurant.
Splurge: Wedgewood Hotel and Spa
One of our favourite hotels, the Wedgewood Hotel and Spa offers a haven of quiet sophistication, old world charm and courtesy, all with modern amenities. Privately owned, this small boutique-style hotel is furnished with antiques and offers a superb spa and restaurant