The Vumbura Concession stretches for 30,000 hectares in the far northern reaches of the Okavango Delta.
There are sweeping floodplains, islands of strangler figs and forests of tall mangosteen. Deep channels are carpeted with day and night lilies and flanked by rustling reeds and wispy papyrus.
Wildlife of Vumbura Concession
On the open plains you will find zebra, tsessebe, impala, giraffe, wildebeest and large herds of buffalo. The Kaparota Lagoon is spectacular at sunset, when herd after herd of elephant come to drink, moving their feet to create waves that keep crocodiles at bay. Lion are plentiful, whilst the shady forests are particularly good for leopard.
The channels and glassy pools are magical. The water is crystal clear, with tiny silver fish darting and jumping in the sun. Little bee-eaters perch in fluffy groups on the papyrus, pied kingfishers flit above the waters and black crakes dart into the reeds. As the mist rises from the water at dawn, you may glimpse the rare spot-necked otter.
The Vumbura Concession is a community-run concession: camp staff come from local villages. There are three little camps, all of which are excellent. With a mixture of water and dry land, the camps offer game drives, night drives, walks, boat and mokoro trips.
Suggested itineraries featuring Vumbura Concession
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Vumbura Concession, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Vumbura Concession
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Vumbura Concession
- Chief's Island 18 miles away
- Jao Concession 20 miles away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 20 miles away
- The Okavango Delta 24 miles away
- Shinde Concession 26 miles away
- Abu Concession 27 miles away
- Xigera Concession 28 miles away
- Duba Concession 35 miles away
- Kwara Concession 36 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 37 miles away
- Kwando Concession 41 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 42 miles away
- Khwai Concession 42 miles away
- Selinda Concession 47 miles away
- Xudum Concession 48 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 49 miles away
- Stanley's Concession 49 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 50 miles away
- Sepupa 61 miles away
- Maun 68 miles away
- The Panhandle 73 miles away
- Savuti Area 78 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 81 miles away
- Chobe National Park 102 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 130 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 152 miles away
- Central Kalahari 162 miles away
- Ghanzi 201 miles away
Photos of Vumbura Concession
Accommodation choices for Vumbura Concession
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Vumbura Concession. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Vumbura Plains is one of the most luxurious camps in the Okavango Delta. It sits in the heart of the Vumbura Concession beneath jackalberry trees and strangler fig trees, overlooking a vast, picturesque floodplain.
Little Vumbura is situated on a sandy island surrounded by deep channels. The only way to access it is to take a short boat trip and arrive at the jetty leading up to the shady confines of the covered lounge.