It dominates the center of Botswana and it is Africa at its most remote and esoteric; a vast sand sheet punctuated by a few huge open plains, occasional salt pans, and the fossil remains of ancient riverbeds.
The Central Kalahari is one of the most remarkable parts of Botswana. In the months following the rains the game concentrations massively increase and large herds of oryx and impala develop. This level of abundance brings into the area the famous black-maned lions as well as healthy populations of cheetah who thrive on the open pans.
At times the distances are large, along bush tracks of variable quality, and there isn't the variation here that you'll find around Chobe or the Okavango. However this remains one of Africa's finest wilderness areas and a visit here offers a level of remoteness that is hard to match anywhere else in Botswana.
The birdlife here is very varied, with Africa's largest bird, the ostrich, being regularly observed. The kori bustard are the world's heaviest flying birds and are also common, stepping around the plains in search of insects and small reptile and mammals. You will also regularly come across korhaans with their unmistakable cry.
Suggested itineraries featuring Central Kalahari
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Central Kalahari, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Central Kalahari
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Central Kalahari
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 136 miles away
- Ghanzi 143 miles away
- Maun 154 miles away
- Xudum Concession 174 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 175 miles away
- Stanley's Concession 175 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 179 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 183 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 185 miles away
- Xigera Concession 196 miles away
- Abu Concession 200 miles away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 201 miles away
- Chief's Island 203 miles away
- Jao Concession 211 miles away
- Khwai Concession 216 miles away
- Kwara Concession 216 miles away
- Shinde Concession 216 miles away
- Gaborone 217 miles away
- The Okavango Delta 218 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 220 miles away
- Duba Concession 242 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 245 miles away
- Chobe National Park 251 miles away
- Selinda Concession 253 miles away
- Kwando Concession 256 miles away
- Savuti Area 261 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 269 miles away
- The Panhandle 272 miles away
Photos of Central Kalahari
Accommodation choices for Central Kalahari
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Central Kalahari. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.