Visit Central Kalahari, Botswana
It dominates the center of Botswana and it is Africa at its most remote and esoteric; a vast sand sheet punctuated by a few huge open plains, occasional salt pans, and the fossil remains of ancient riverbeds.
The Central Kalahari is one of the most remarkable parts of Botswana. In the months following the rains the game concentrations massively increase and large herds of oryx and impala develop. This level of abundance brings into the area the famous black maned lions as well as healthy populations of cheetah who thrive on the open pans.
At times the distances are large, along bush tracks of variable quality, and there isn't the variation here that you'll find around Chobe or the Okavango. However this remains one of Africa's finest wilderness areas and a visit here offers a level of remoteness that is hard to match anywhere else in Botswana.
The birdlife here is very varied, with Africa's largest bird, the ostrich, being regularly observed. The kori bustard are the world's heaviest flying birds and are also common, stepping around the plains in search of insects and small reptile and mammals. You will also regularly come across korhaans with their unmistakable cry.
Suggested itineraries featuring Central Kalahari
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Central Kalahari, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Central Kalahari
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Central Kalahari
- Maun 96 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 104 miles away
- Xudum Concession 116 miles away
- Stanley's Concession 118 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 121 miles away
- Ghanzi 125 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 127 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 127 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 135 miles away
- Xigera Concession 137 miles away
- Abu Concession 142 miles away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 143 miles away
- Chief's Island 144 miles away
- Jao Concession 153 miles away
- Shinde Concession 159 miles away
- Kwara Concession 159 miles away
- Khwai Concession 160 miles away
- The Okavango Delta 160 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 162 miles away
- Duba Concession 184 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 189 miles away
- Selinda Concession 196 miles away
- Kwando Concession 198 miles away
- Chobe National Park 201 miles away
- Sepupa 204 miles away
- Savuti Area 207 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 214 miles away
- The Panhandle 215 miles away
- Gaborone 273 miles away
Photos of Central Kalahari
Accommodation choices for Central Kalahari
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Central Kalahari. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Enjoying a secluded spot on the ridge of an ancient sand dune, with the flat expanse of the Central Kalahari stretching out below, Tau Pan offers incredible views and a rich safari experience, with knowledgeable guides and trackers ensuring you can fully appreciate the reserve’s diverse wildlife.
Jacks Camp is in a harsh but fabulous environment. Activities at the camp vary enormously: there’s the chance to sit surrounded by meerkats, walk with the Bushmen, explore by quad bike or just lie on a salt pan watching the stars.