It dominates the center of Botswana and it is Africa at its most remote and esoteric; a vast sand sheet punctuated by a few huge open plains, occasional salt pans, and the fossil remains of ancient riverbeds.
The Central Kalahari is one of the most remarkable parts of Botswana. In the months following the rains the game concentrations massively increase and large herds of oryx and impala develop. This level of abundance brings into the area the famous black-maned lions as well as healthy populations of cheetah who thrive on the open pans.
At times the distances are large, along bush tracks of variable quality, and there isn't the variation here that you'll find around Chobe or the Okavango. However this remains one of Africa's finest wilderness areas and a visit here offers a level of remoteness that is hard to match anywhere else in Botswana.
The birdlife here is very varied, with Africa's largest bird, the ostrich, being regularly observed. The kori bustard are the world's heaviest flying birds and are also common, stepping around the plains in search of insects and small reptile and mammals. You will also regularly come across korhaans with their unmistakable cry.
Speak to someone
who's been there
Start planning your tailor-made trip to Central Kalahari by contacting one of our Botswana specialists
- Make an inquiry
Suggested itineraries featuring Central Kalahari
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Central Kalahari, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Green season safari in the Okavango DeltaBotswanaView this tour
Botswana family safari adventureBotswanaView this tour
Map of Central Kalahari
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Central Kalahari
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 218 kilometers away
- Ghanzi 230 kilometers away
- Maun 247 kilometers away
- Xudum Concession 279 kilometers away
- Nxai Pan National Park 281 kilometers away
- Stanley's Concession 282 kilometers away
- Gunn's Concession 288 kilometers away
- Chitabe Concession 294 kilometers away
- Nxabega Concession 297 kilometers away
- Xigera Concession 315 kilometers away
- Abu Concession 322 kilometers away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 324 kilometers away
- Chief's Island 326 kilometers away
- Jao Concession 339 kilometers away
- Khwai Concession 347 kilometers away
- Kwara Concession 347 kilometers away
- Shinde Concession 348 kilometers away
- Gaborone 350 kilometers away
- The Okavango Delta 350 kilometers away
- Vumbura Concession 354 kilometers away
- Duba Concession 389 kilometers away
- Linyanti Concession 394 kilometers away
- Chobe National Park 404 kilometers away
- Selinda Concession 407 kilometers away
- Kwando Concession 411 kilometers away
- Savuti Area 419 kilometers away
- Linyanti Wetlands 433 kilometers away
- The Panhandle 438 kilometers away
Photos of Central Kalahari
Accommodation choices for Central Kalahari
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Central Kalahari. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Tau Pan LodgeCentral Kalahari
Jack's CampCentral Kalahari