Visit Central Kalahari, Botswana
It dominates the center of Botswana and it is Africa at its most remote and esoteric; a vast sand sheet punctuated by a few huge open plains, occasional salt pans, and the fossil remains of ancient riverbeds.
The Central Kalahari is one of the most remarkable parts of Botswana. In the months following the rains the game concentrations massively increase and large herds of oryx and impala develop. This level of abundance brings into the area the famous black maned lions as well as healthy populations of cheetah who thrive on the open pans.
At times the distances are large, along bush tracks of variable quality, and there isn't the variation here that you'll find around Chobe or the Okavango. However this remains one of Africa's finest wilderness areas and a visit here offers a level of remoteness that is hard to match anywhere else in Botswana.
The birdlife here is very varied, with Africa's largest bird, the ostrich, being regularly observed. The kori bustard are the world's heaviest flying birds and are also common, stepping around the plains in search of insects and small reptile and mammals. You will also regularly come across korhaans with their unmistakable cry.
Suggested itineraries featuring Central Kalahari
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Central Kalahari, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Central Kalahari
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Central Kalahari
- Maun 155 kilometers away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 166 kilometers away
- Xudum Concession 186 kilometers away
- Stanley's Concession 189 kilometers away
- Gunn's Concession 195 kilometers away
- Ghanzi 201 kilometers away
- Nxabega Concession 203 kilometers away
- Chitabe Concession 203 kilometers away
- Nxai Pan National Park 217 kilometers away
- Xigera Concession 221 kilometers away
- Abu Concession 228 kilometers away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 230 kilometers away
- Chief's Island 233 kilometers away
- Jao Concession 245 kilometers away
- Shinde Concession 256 kilometers away
- Kwara Concession 256 kilometers away
- Khwai Concession 257 kilometers away
- The Okavango Delta 257 kilometers away
- Vumbura Concession 261 kilometers away
- Duba Concession 295 kilometers away
- Linyanti Concession 303 kilometers away
- Selinda Concession 316 kilometers away
- Kwando Concession 318 kilometers away
- Chobe National Park 323 kilometers away
- Sepupa 328 kilometers away
- Savuti Area 332 kilometers away
- Linyanti Wetlands 345 kilometers away
- The Panhandle 345 kilometers away
- Gaborone 439 kilometers away
Photos of Central Kalahari
Accommodation choices for Central Kalahari
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Central Kalahari. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Enjoying a secluded spot on the ridge of an ancient sand dune, with the flat expanse of the Central Kalahari stretching out below, Tau Pan offers incredible views and a rich safari experience, with knowledgeable guides and trackers ensuring you can fully appreciate the reserve’s diverse wildlife.
Jacks Camp is in a harsh but fabulous environment. Activities at the camp vary enormously: there’s the chance to sit surrounded by meerkats, walk with the Bushmen, explore by quad bike or just lie on a salt pan watching the stars.