Visit Chitabe Concession, Botswana
Bordering the Moremi Game Reserve in the southern Okavango Delta, the Chitabe Concession is both picturesque and rich in game.
Wildlife of the Chitabe Concession
Large elephant bulls trundle through pink hippo grass to thick forests of real fan palms. Here they shake the trees, trunks raised, until palm nuts rain down. Troops of baboon pick through the leftovers, yellow mongoose run under wild sage bushes and sometimes in the first light of morning you can see honey-badgers darting into the tall grass.
Many grazers such as tsessebe, impala, zebra and buffalo can be found on the open plains (and airstrip) whilst giraffe and kudu are found on the forest fringes. Though lion are often seen it is Chitabe’s leopard and wild dog pack that perhaps hold the greatest attraction. Leopard sightings are frequent, with some relaxed leopard happy to be followed by flurries of squawking guineafowl. Wild dog roam widely and sometimes make dens on the concession, so sightings are good.
Although predominantly a dry land concession, when the floodwaters arrive in June mokoro trips become possible, allowing you to float through the channels of the Santantadibe River among swallowtailed bee-eaters, giant kingfishers and waterlilies.
The Chitabe Walking Trail
The Chitabe Concession is the base for the Chitabe Walking Trail. This lasts for three days and two nights and explores the different environments of the reserve on foot.
Typically, you will walk for a few hours each morning and evening, tracking predators by their spoor and exploring everything from insect life to aardvark holes. Nights are spent under mosquito nets on raised hides and dinner cooked on open fires.
These trips are adventurous ways to get really close to nature and best combined with a night in Chitabe Camp.
Map of Chitabe Concession
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Chitabe Concession
- Stanley's Concession 23 kilometers away
- Gunn's Concession 43 kilometers away
- Maun 53 kilometers away
- Kwara Concession 53 kilometers away
- Khwai Concession 54 kilometers away
- Shinde Concession 56 kilometers away
- Nxabega Concession 57 kilometers away
- Xudum Concession 59 kilometers away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 62 kilometers away
- Chief's Island 65 kilometers away
- Xigera Concession 70 kilometers away
- Vumbura Concession 80 kilometers away
- Abu Concession 80 kilometers away
- Jao Concession 88 kilometers away
- Linyanti Concession 100 kilometers away
- The Okavango Delta 103 kilometers away
- Selinda Concession 114 kilometers away
- Kwando Concession 121 kilometers away
- Savuti Area 132 kilometers away
- Nxai Pan National Park 134 kilometers away
- Duba Concession 134 kilometers away
- Chobe National Park 141 kilometers away
- Linyanti Wetlands 144 kilometers away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 164 kilometers away
- Sepupa 176 kilometers away
- The Panhandle 195 kilometers away
- Central Kalahari 203 kilometers away
- Ghanzi 314 kilometers away
Photos of Chitabe Concession
Accommodation choices for Chitabe Concession
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Chitabe Concession. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Inspired by the armored body of a pangolin, the Sandibe Lodge blends seamlessly into its Okavango Delta surroundings. The location offers extraordinary wildlife viewing, either on foot or during game drives, complemented by welcoming local hospitality.
An intimate, friendly camp in the Chitabe Concession that provides a variety of habitats for a diverse range of wildlife, making it a great base for your stay in this beautiful wilderness.
Chitabe Camp is situated on a palm island, surrounded by open grassland. There's a small pool with squashy sunloungers and big umbrellas, perfect for the heat of the day. Chitabe also offers game drives and walks.