Visit Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari, Botswana
The Makgadikgadi Pans is a place like none other. Mile upon mile of shimmering white salt pan stretches endlessly to the horizon.
Around the fringes, coarse grasses blow in the wind, ancient baobabs reach to the sky and vultures soar on the thermals. There are prehistoric beaches, Stone Age ruins and salty whirlwinds spinning over cracked earth.
Wildlife of the Makgadikgadi Pans
The pans are the relics of Africa's 'super-lake' that covered the Kalahari several million years ago and are littered with the fossils of the changing ecosystems that followed. Nowadays, the wildlife is both hardy and highly nomadic. Meerkats, mongooses, brown hyena, aardvark and aardwolf are present all year round. Secretary birds, ostrich and korhaans step through the grass and bateleurs soar overhead. When the rains arrive a dramatic change takes place. Pink clouds of flamingo come to feed, vast herds of zebra and wildebeest are found on the savannah and the sound of frogs fills the air.
Camps of the Makgadikgadi Pans
There are two small camps in the Makgadikgadi, and whether you stay in the dry or rainy season they both offer a unique Makgadikgadi experience. You will have the opportunity to quad-bike across a salt pan with a kikoi on your head, lie on the desert floor looking for shooting stars and watch the earth's shadow grow as the sun sets. A stay on the Makgadikgadi is always an experience you never forget.
Suggested itinerary featuring Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari
- Nxai Pan National Park 70 kilometers away
- Maun 156 kilometers away
- Chitabe Concession 164 kilometers away
- Central Kalahari 166 kilometers away
- Stanley's Concession 170 kilometers away
- Gunn's Concession 192 kilometers away
- Khwai Concession 198 kilometers away
- Xudum Concession 198 kilometers away
- Kwara Concession 204 kilometers away
- Nxabega Concession 208 kilometers away
- Chobe National Park 209 kilometers away
- Shinde Concession 214 kilometers away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 223 kilometers away
- Xigera Concession 226 kilometers away
- Chief's Island 226 kilometers away
- Abu Concession 237 kilometers away
- Linyanti Concession 240 kilometers away
- Vumbura Concession 244 kilometers away
- Savuti Area 245 kilometers away
- Jao Concession 249 kilometers away
- Selinda Concession 259 kilometers away
- Linyanti Wetlands 260 kilometers away
- The Okavango Delta 264 kilometers away
- Kwando Concession 273 kilometers away
- Duba Concession 297 kilometers away
- Sepupa 339 kilometers away
- Ghanzi 357 kilometers away
- The Panhandle 358 kilometers away
- Gaborone 480 kilometers away
Photos of Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari
Accommodation choices for Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
A simple bush camp filled with adventure, Camp Kalahari has a rustic, traditional feel reminiscent of the camps used by explorers of old. Staying in tented accommodation, you’ll have access to activities that make the most of the unique salt pan location.
Enjoying elevated views over the Boteti River, Meno A Kwena is a classic tented camp that harks back to early exploration. It offers a range of activities exploring the area’s wildlife, culture and landscape.
Planet Baobab has eight en suite Bakalanga mud huts which have been inspired by the traditional homes of Botswana. All of these huts are different in style and design and have their own private veranda decorated with local artwork.