Chief's Island is in the very center of the Okavango Delta and one of its largest islands. Receiving flood waters every year there are fertile plains and a wide diversity of vegetation.
Open grasslands are interspersed with termite mounds and ilala palms. Marula trees, rain trees, leadwood and acacia are found in the mature woodlands whilst lagoons and wetlands have rich shoots, a favorite of grazers.
Wildlife of Chief's Island
Chief's Island is famous for its game concentrations and rightly so. There are many large herds of impala, red lechwe, zebra, wildebeest and buffalo whilst tsessebe, giraffe and reedbuck are also often seen. Warthogs seem to be everywhere, as do big troops of baboon, vervet monkeys and banded mongoose. The lagoons are home to surprisingly large crocodiles and a number of noisy hippos. You'll often find elephant here, large breeding herds quenching their thirst.
The predators are excellent with many resident prides of lion and large packs of hyena. Cheetah can be found on the open plains whilst leopard are present in high densities but are often harder to spot.
On game drives there's always something to see, the photographic opportunities are endless so stay for a while to make the most of this magical island.
Suggested itinerary featuring Chief's Island
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Chief's Island, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Chief's Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Chief's Island
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve less than 5 kilometers away
- Xigera Concession 17 kilometers away
- Abu Concession 21 kilometers away
- Jao Concession 24 kilometers away
- Vumbura Concession 29 kilometers away
- Nxabega Concession 30 kilometers away
- The Okavango Delta 39 kilometers away
- Gunn's Concession 40 kilometers away
- Xudum Concession 48 kilometers away
- Shinde Concession 50 kilometers away
- Stanley's Concession 57 kilometers away
- Kwara Concession 64 kilometers away
- Chitabe Concession 65 kilometers away
- Duba Concession 72 kilometers away
- Khwai Concession 74 kilometers away
- Maun 84 kilometers away
- Kwando Concession 93 kilometers away
- Linyanti Concession 98 kilometers away
- Selinda Concession 100 kilometers away
- The Panhandle 132 kilometers away
- Savuti Area 144 kilometers away
- Linyanti Wetlands 150 kilometers away
- Chobe National Park 175 kilometers away
- Nxai Pan National Park 198 kilometers away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 226 kilometers away
- Ghanzi 299 kilometers away
- Central Kalahari 326 kilometers away
Photos of Chief's Island
Accommodation choices for Chief's Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Chief's Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.