Visit Duba Concession, Botswana
Driving over the rickety wooden bridge, glassy water and crocodiles underneath, you enter the Duba Plains.
Sweeping yellow grasses, interspersed with wild date palms, pink hippo grass and gray termite mounds stretch endlessly to a vast horizon. The air is still and there’s an eerie silence, broken only by the roar of distant lion. Then, in the distance you see clouds of dust rising up from the grasslands. Oxpeckers and egrets flutter in the air. Dark shapes take form, the grass crackles and a thousand-strong herd of buffalo comes into sight. Welcome to the Duba Concession, the land of the buffalo and lion.
Wildlife of the Duba Concession
Duba Plains is home to Botswana’s largest herds of buffalo. Thousands are in residence, while more migrate in during the low water, so they are never far away. It is also home to Africa’s densest lion population, with anything between around three and six prides protecting their territories at any one time: the frequent battles that result make for unforgettable game-viewing. On day and night game drives the opportunity to photograph lion watching, stalking, and sometimes even killing buffalo is ever present. It’s superb for close up photography and a breathtaking wildlife experience.
The Duba Concession is in the far northern reaches of the Okavango Delta. As well as lion and buffalo, there is a variety of plains game and good population of spotted hyena. The concession is owned by the local Okavango communities, from which most of the guides and camp staff are recruited, and staying here you are in the hands of experts.
With just one camp, the concession is as remote as it is wild and however long you stay, it will never be enough.
Map of Duba Concession
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Duba Concession
- The Okavango Delta 39 kilometers away
- Sepupa 42 kilometers away
- Jao Concession 52 kilometers away
- Vumbura Concession 57 kilometers away
- The Panhandle 61 kilometers away
- Abu Concession 68 kilometers away
- Chief's Island 72 kilometers away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 76 kilometers away
- Xigera Concession 78 kilometers away
- Kwando Concession 85 kilometers away
- Shinde Concession 96 kilometers away
- Nxabega Concession 97 kilometers away
- Selinda Concession 105 kilometers away
- Kwara Concession 111 kilometers away
- Gunn's Concession 111 kilometers away
- Xudum Concession 113 kilometers away
- Linyanti Concession 117 kilometers away
- Khwai Concession 122 kilometers away
- Stanley's Concession 129 kilometers away
- Chitabe Concession 134 kilometers away
- Maun 154 kilometers away
- Linyanti Wetlands 162 kilometers away
- Savuti Area 162 kilometers away
- Chobe National Park 211 kilometers away
- Nxai Pan National Park 265 kilometers away
- Central Kalahari 295 kilometers away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 297 kilometers away
- Ghanzi 324 kilometers away
Photos of Duba Concession
Accommodation choices for Duba Concession
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Duba Concession. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Duba Plains Camp is situated in mature forest with views of floodplains and reedbeds. The camp sparkles at night, with dinner lit by lanterns under the trees. Activities include half and full day game drives on the plains, with excellent guides.