In the southwest reaches of the Okavango Delta is the Jao Concession which encompasses deep blue channels, glittering lagoons, emerald-green floodplains and palm islands.
The waters are covered in thousands of flowers, with carpets of orange river-lilies, pink waterlilies and water lettuce. Tiny reed frogs cling to papyrus, red lechwe splash through water, sending spray into the air against the backdrop of stunning scenery.
Wildlife of the Jao Concession
The rich floodplains are home to large herds of red lechwe, which are hunted by several prides of lion. It’s one of the best places in Africa to search for the sitatunga and on the islands it’s common to see elephant, baboon, tsessebe and bushbuck. At night, fruit-bats squeak and tiny bush babies leap from tree to tree. The birdlife is spectacular. Wattled cranes step through the lush grasses, saddle-billed storks hunt for frogs and slaty egrets catch tiny fish. From rosy-throated longclaws to Pel’s fishing owl, the list is endless.
Activities in the Jao Concession
There are a number of small camps on the reserve, ranging from luxury chalets to tree top houses. All offer a variety of activities including game drives, walks and night drives, as well as boating and mokoro trips which are superb. Drifting over twinkling water, with flowers and birds all around, is the ultimate relaxation.
Map of Jao Concession
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Jao Concession
- The Okavango Delta 16 kilometers away
- Abu Concession 18 kilometers away
- Chief's Island 24 kilometers away
- Xigera Concession 26 kilometers away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 27 kilometers away
- Vumbura Concession 31 kilometers away
- Nxabega Concession 45 kilometers away
- Duba Concession 52 kilometers away
- Gunn's Concession 59 kilometers away
- Xudum Concession 62 kilometers away
- Shinde Concession 67 kilometers away
- Stanley's Concession 79 kilometers away
- Kwara Concession 82 kilometers away
- Chitabe Concession 88 kilometers away
- Sepupa 92 kilometers away
- Khwai Concession 92 kilometers away
- Kwando Concession 94 kilometers away
- Maun 102 kilometers away
- Selinda Concession 106 kilometers away
- Linyanti Concession 109 kilometers away
- The Panhandle 111 kilometers away
- Savuti Area 156 kilometers away
- Linyanti Wetlands 160 kilometers away
- Chobe National Park 192 kilometers away
- Nxai Pan National Park 222 kilometers away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 249 kilometers away
- Ghanzi 295 kilometers away
- Central Kalahari 339 kilometers away
Photos of Jao Concession
Accommodation choices for Jao Concession
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Jao Concession. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.