Visit Jao Concession, Botswana
Jao Concession, Botswana
In the southwest reaches of the Okavango Delta is the Jao Concession which encompasses deep blue channels, glittering lagoons, emerald-green floodplains and palm islands.
The waters are covered in thousands of flowers, with carpets of orange river-lilies, pink waterlilies and water lettuce. Tiny reed frogs cling to papyrus, red lechwe splash through water, sending spray into the air against the backdrop of stunning scenery.
Wildlife of the Jao Concession
The rich floodplains are home to large herds of red lechwe, which are hunted by several prides of lion. It’s one of the best places in Africa to search for the sitatunga and on the islands it’s common to see elephant, baboon, tsessebe and bushbuck. At night, fruit-bats squeak and tiny bushbabies leap from tree to tree. The birdlife is spectacular. Wattled cranes step through the lush grasses, saddle-billed storks hunt for frogs and slaty egrets catch tiny fish. From pinkthroated longcalws to Pel’s fishing owl, the list is endless.
Activities in the Jao Concession
There are a number of small camps on the reserve, ranging from luxury chalets to tree top houses. All offer a variety of activities including game drives, walks and night drives, as well as boating and mokoro trips which are superb. Drifting over twinkling water, with flowers and birds all around, is the ultimate relaxation.
Map of Jao Concession
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Jao Concession
- The Okavango Delta 10 miles away
- Abu Concession 11 miles away
- Chief's Island 14 miles away
- Xigera Concession 16 miles away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 17 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 20 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 28 miles away
- Duba Concession 33 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 37 miles away
- Xudum Concession 38 miles away
- Shinde Concession 42 miles away
- Stanleys Concession 49 miles away
- Kwara Concession 51 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 55 miles away
- Sepupa 57 miles away
- Khwai Concession 58 miles away
- Kwando Concession 59 miles away
- Maun 64 miles away
- Selinda Concession 66 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 68 miles away
- The Panhandle 69 miles away
- Savuti Area 97 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 100 miles away
- Chobe National Park 120 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 138 miles away
- Central Kalahari 153 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 155 miles away
- Ghanzi 184 miles away
Photos of Jao Concession
Accommodation choices for Jao Concession
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Jao Concession. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Small and strikingly stylish, Jao Camp offers both land and water-based activities directly from its idyllic location in the heart of the Okavango Delta.
Built up in the treetops, Kwetsani is in a world of its own. Sitting on your deck you can hear the baboons chattering in the trees and dropping twigs and monkey oranges onto the pathways and sometimes your roof.
Jacana Camp is relaxed, friendly and in a spectacular spot overlooking lily-carpeted lagoons - it’s the ideal place to relax. The emphasis here is on boat and mokoro trips.