Bordering the Moremi Game Reserve in the southern Okavango Delta, the Chitabe Concession is both picturesque and rich in game.
Wildlife of the Chitabe Concession
Large elephant bulls trundle through pink hippo grass to thick forests of real fan palms. Here they shake the trees, trunks raised, until palm nuts rain down. Troops of baboon pick through the leftovers, yellow mongoose run under wild sage bushes and sometimes in the first light of morning you can see honey-badgers darting into the tall grass.
Many grazers such as tsessebe, impala, zebra and buffalo can be found on the open plains (and airstrip) whilst giraffe and kudu are found on the forest fringes. Though lion are often seen it is Chitabe’s leopard and wild dog pack that perhaps hold the greatest attraction. Leopard sightings are frequent, with some relaxed leopard happy to be followed by flurries of squawking guineafowl. Wild dog roam widely and sometimes make dens on the concession, so sightings are good.
Although predominantly a dry land concession, when the floodwaters arrive in June mokoro trips become possible, allowing you to float through the channels of the Santantadibe River among swallowtailed bee-eaters, giant kingfishers and waterlilies.
The Chitabe Walking Trail
The Chitabe Concession is the base for the Chitabe Walking Trail. This lasts for three days and two nights and explores the different environments of the reserve on foot.
Typically, you will walk for a few hours each morning and evening, tracking predators by their spoor and exploring everything from insect life to aardvark holes. Nights are spent under mosquito nets on raised hides and dinner cooked on open fires.
These trips are adventurous ways to get really close to nature and best combined with a night in Chitabe Camp.
Map of Chitabe Concession
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Chitabe Concession
- Stanley's Concession 15 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 27 miles away
- Maun 33 miles away
- Kwara Concession 33 miles away
- Khwai Concession 34 miles away
- Shinde Concession 35 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 36 miles away
- Xudum Concession 37 miles away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 39 miles away
- Chief's Island 41 miles away
- Xigera Concession 43 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 50 miles away
- Abu Concession 50 miles away
- Jao Concession 55 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 63 miles away
- The Okavango Delta 64 miles away
- Selinda Concession 71 miles away
- Kwando Concession 75 miles away
- Savuti Area 82 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 84 miles away
- Duba Concession 84 miles away
- Chobe National Park 88 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 90 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 102 miles away
- Sepupa 110 miles away
- The Panhandle 121 miles away
- Central Kalahari 127 miles away
- Ghanzi 195 miles away
Photos of Chitabe Concession
Accommodation choices for Chitabe Concession
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Chitabe Concession. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
An intimate, friendly camp in the Chitabe Concession that provides a variety of habitats for a diverse range of wildlife, making it a great base for your stay in this beautiful wilderness.
Inspired by the armored body of a pangolin, the Sandibe Lodge blends seamlessly into its Okavango Delta surroundings. The location offers extraordinary wildlife viewing, either on foot or during game drives, complemented by welcoming local hospitality.
Chitabe Camp is situated on a palm island, surrounded by open grassland. There's a small pool with squashy sunloungers and big umbrellas, perfect for the heat of the day. Chitabe also offers game drives and walks.